Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man, I Called That One!

Man, I Called That One!
Friends,

A couple of months back I pulled this out of a Bowman blaster ...

[Image: Eloy_zpsteqpgcgc.jpg]

In the course of that thread I said the following:

"I have a feeling he might be one of those super prospects that gets traded at the deadline, i.e. Moncada, Torres, etc. last year."

Well, Jimenez was traded to the White Sox a couple of days ago, for Jose Quintana.

I don't know ... Quintana is traditionally a decent pitcher, but this year he's 4-8 with a 4.48 ERA.

Jimenez, however, is a Top 10 MLB prospect.

Cubs fans, do you like this deal?

I think I would have rather played out the string this year - I mean, they're good enough as is to make a run in the second half, right? - and then see if Jimenez develops over the next year or so into the superstar he's supposed to be.

RE: Man, I Called That One!
The Yanks passed on Quintana this spring. Personally, I think they dodged a bullet. I guess he can give you innings ... but, not worth giving up Eloy. They should have nailed down a better pitcher than Quintana. IMO
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(07-14-2017, 11:19 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: The Yanks passed on Quintana this spring. Personally, I think they dodged a bullet. I guess he can give you innings ... but, not worth giving up Eloy. They should have nailed down a better pitcher than Quintana. IMO
Right, or just not given up Jimenez to get him.

Oh well, hopefully it works out for both.

It just bums me out because I started a Cubs PC last year - yes, I freely admit, totally on the bandwagon, but I just love all the guys they drafted and developed - so this was a major add at the time I pulled it.

So it's still in my "Cubs box" ... but feels like an outlier now.

(Sort of like all my Moncada Red Sox cards.)

I agree that it is a strange move for the Cubs to make.

(07-14-2017, 12:23 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I agree that it is a strange move for the Cubs to make.
It just seems desperate, for a team that has no reason to be.

I mean, they're like seven games out, right?

With all that talent?

There is plenty of time to make up that ground.

I don't have a problem with them adding Quintana, because it might be a classic change of scenery case, but Jimenez is a lot to give up for a guy who is not a dominant starter (i.e. Scherzer, Kershaw, Lester, etc.)

This is the kind of deal that the Mariners would make, trade away prospects for a average pitcher and a minor leaguer who will never break the AA level. I try not to get caught up in prospects any more because just as I get excited to see a young player come up the Mariners trade him away.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

Okay, I was wrong.
Quintana had a tremendous first game with the Cubbies. The Chicago front office must know a little more than I do. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(07-17-2017, 08:12 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Okay, I was wrong.
Quintana had a tremendous first game with the Cubbies. The Chicago front office must know a little more than I do. Smile
I mean, on second thought, Theo did break almost 200 years of curses between the Red Sox and the Cubs, so maybe he does in fact know what he's doing.