`
Connect With Us!
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Help me make more of this site....
06-04-2017, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 12:17 AM by longshot18.)
Help me make more of this site....
I don't want this thread to turn into a bashing of Beckett services, including this site. But given what I have learned over the past several months, I want to know how I can make this site and their services rewarding, because right now they are not.

Recently got back into the collection hobby after a 20 year absence, and quite a few things have changed, especially in how sales, trading, valuation of cards happens.

I dove in and paid for all sports for a month because I wanted to check values of cards that had not seen the light of day in all sports from about mid 60's to mid 90s.

After the 1 month ended, I paid for a full year of hoops and football since those are all I really focus on in the hobby. That, as everyone knows, was not cheap.

But during that same time, I have found other hobby sites that offer similar forums. In addition, I have found the Beckett values, which is a significant part of what I have paid for, to be borderline worthless. They are nowhere close to what can realistically be assumed to be a cash/sale value, and once cards get 49/below and especially 25/below the NAs are plentiful. Ebay, and to a lesser extent just google, is a much more accurate and Free real time assessment of value.

In addition, on most other sites you don't have to manage an org list in a clunky manner like here. I understand the intent for trader protection and such, but its a costly proposition other sites have managed to figure out how to handle for free. Not to mention significantly more members, threads, action, etc.

While this sounds like a bash, its really just an assessment of the negative things I have found so far.

And my goal is not to bash , but figure out what I am missing. Where are the positives? What can people do to make their experience on Beckett better? If I'm going to pay the $, I want to get bang for buck which I am not right now for the above reasons, so help me figure out what I am missing to make this site more worthwhile? How do others justify the cost of this site, especially compared to other free forums? Why should Beckett get my $ again?

Currently looking for 2010 John Elway Emblems of the Hall. Center must be filled with either info or auto. There are blank ones out there that are ugly....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: Help me make more of this site....
anyone?

Currently looking for 2010 John Elway Emblems of the Hall. Center must be filled with either info or auto. There are blank ones out there that are ugly....
09-05-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: Help me make more of this site....
(06-04-2017 12:14 AM)longshot18 Wrote:  I don't want this thread to turn into a bashing of Beckett services, including this site. But given what I have learned over the past several months, I want to know how I can make this site and their services rewarding, because right now they are not.

First off, they can stop deleting posts people make when they ask questions. I asked one earlier and I wasn't rude or nasty. Just trying to find the best solution to get ALL of my sports cards to a new home.

I *mentioned* ebay... didn't post a url. I actually asked if it was okay to post (in a future post) a url to an ebay auction.

Someone answered and said it was against a "TOS". Okay. So I asked where I could go... never saw the response. Post gone.
Not cool.

Look, I've been to many a forum in my time. I've always encountered the "Forum Mod-tough guy" who has to follow TOS'es like they were the Holy Bible or something. But can I just for once get a real person who doesn't have to act like a robot or a legalist (look it up) and give a guy a break?

Sorry for the rant... but this is my response to what you said.

BECKETT: SOFTEN UP
It's a card forum... not politics or religion.

Quote: But during that same time, I have found other hobby sites that offer similar forums. In addition, I have found the Beckett values, which is a significant part of what I have paid for, to be borderline worthless.

In addition, on most other sites you don't have to manage an org list in a clunky manner like here. I understand the intent for trader protection and such, but its a costly proposition other sites have managed to figure out how to handle for free. Not to mention significantly more members, threads, action, etc.

I haven't subscribed yet... took one look at it and it looked too complicated, involved, and .... (drum roll).... too many rules.

I can say this... if they want to improve (and gain more subscribers) they *must* work on their manners (see above mention on my post deletion).

People don't like snobs, strict rules, or complications.

I know the worries are there about safeguarding against frauds n all... but do they really have to be keyed up on it 24/7?

Maybe they went through a bad period (before I joined this forum) and I'm witnessing the aftermath of a disaster? Who knows.

I too would like to go to a place that offers some "breathing room" to be able to talk about the cards I want to sell (or trade away) without the threat of a 40 ton anvil falling out of the sky ..... Wink

Quote: While this sounds like a bash, its really just an assessment of the negative things I have found so far.

And my goal is not to bash , but figure out what I am missing. Where are the positives? What can people do to make their experience on Beckett better? If I'm going to pay the $, I want to get bang for buck which I am not right now for the above reasons, so help me figure out what I am missing to make this site more worthwhile? How do others justify the cost of this site, especially compared to other free forums? Why should Beckett get my $ again?

Honestly, they need to change their rules (TOS), manners, attitude, and overall experience.

I don't know the politics here but I got a whiff of it last night in an otherwise harmless post of mine where I was simply looking for ideas on what I could do to find some cards a new home.

Instead of someone trying to sell me on the idea... of subscribing to this pay service of theirs... they ended up -NOT- selling me on the idea of it.

Reminds me of a time my mother went to a Health Food bazaar and Lou Ferrigno was the star attraction. Her and a friend were looking over some of the items they had up for sale on a table and Lou, barked out a "Are you gonna buy something or not?" question in a rude and loud tone.

Of course, my mother decided not to purchase anything after that.

Who would want to?

Beckett (and to your moderators)... DO some soul searching.

If the money is pouring in... I guess the attitude will be "I don't care to".

Well guess what my answer is gonna be to the subscription service?

Wink