Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ton y Gwynn RC - Worth Grading?

Ton y Gwynn RC - Worth Grading?
Hi all,

I've been going through my father's old collection of cards and found a few sweet RCs along with this Tony Gwynn. Seems like it's in decent shape. Would it be worth getting graded? All scratches in the pictures attached are on outside case and there is a glare from the photo on the back of the card, the glare isn't actually on the card around the "complete" on the back.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Ton y Gwynn RC - Worth Grading?
It won't grade as a 10, since its slightly off center. But it IS in great shape. If you want to get it graded for preservation purposes, go ahead. If its to re-sell, cost of grading might be impossible to recoup. If it grades a 9 or better, it might be worth it. Hard call. Hope more forum members chime in for you. Good Luck!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I assume that the scratched area next to Tony's head is on the case and not the card. Aside from that scratch (which I am assuming is on the case) the centering and edges (backside) are not perfect. I would expect the card to come back with a grade of 8.5 due to centering and edges. Though it definitely has a chance of getting a 9 if the grader is feeling generous.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Yes, the scratch is on the outside case. Awesome guys! Thanks so much for the input. I have some cards I want to get graded for keeping and display purposes. But I just didn't see the point if I would receive a bad grade. I have a few others, I'll post to this thread and separately. Specifically a Rickey Henderson RC and a few other old school cards (Pete Rose / Nolan Ryan).