`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do they do that?

Why do they do that?
Why do they print the ser#'d card to weird numbers? specifically 499 or 299 whatever instead of 500 or 300? My engineer brain thinks this may be because they want to burn a copy first to make sure the equipment/process is setup right. But now as I type this, i know MFG processes burn WAY more than one of anything when setting up any type of MFG run however, I digress. Is there another reason I am not aware of? If I am right, then I go down the rabbit hole: 1/1 aren't really 1/1, they would most likely test the equip before?
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey, LOL
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

RE: Why do they do that?
I have often wonder that myself. I understand the ser# for achievements..Stat lines etc...
But why is blue 599, green 399, red 299, black 199, platinum 99 etc etc...

Weirder still was Pacific with some strange ser #

It's likely a psychological thing. 399 just sounds rarer than 400.

(04-28-2017, 08:08 AM)ausport Wrote: It's likely a psychological thing. 399 just sounds rarer than 400.
Yes, it certainly does to me Smile
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

In some cultures 9 is considered a lucky number, but not in the US as far as I know!

I like how Infinity products number their cards with #/8 or #/88 or #/188 to take advantage of the Infinity symbol (sideways 8).

Interesting point to bring up, Flamethrower!

They figure the numbering according to the production run/ packs released, and with a percentage to burn as replacements. If you look at the older Five Star you'll see some extremely funky numbering because they produced a very limited amount of cases and mathematically, was the only way to cram all of the product into boxes. In fact, I believe the base set was numbered to 80 and base rainbow to 25. They only put 1 base card in the boxes due to total number of boxes produced.

I like when the numbers are wierd. Like Pacific would number cards to /77 or/37. It makes them stand out to me, something different. I mean, who wants to see cards numbered out of /25 /50 /100 every single time?
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

I wondered if it was along the same psychological effect of pricing something $4.99 instead of $5.00. It looks like it is cheaper, or in this case more rare, even though it is only a tiny bit.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

Jumper hit the nail on the head...what sounds more scarce, 500 or 499?
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info

Kinda like the price of gas. Why do the say 240.9 per gallon.