`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Help with box selection

Help with box selection
I've been looking at buying a box or 2 of cards. Was looking online and saw a couple on sale in a store near by. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on 2015-16 Panini Anthology or 2015-16 ITG THE FINAL VAULT. I have not bought a box of cards from somewhere other then walmart in 6 or 7 years. Any opinions on either of those would be much appreciated.
Collecting: Carey Price, Saku Koivu, Habs Inks

Photobucket:http://s579.photobuc
ket.com/albums/ss233/habby985/Carey%20Price/

RE: Help with box selection
I don't claim to know anything about those specific boxes. But in general, when I look to break boxes, here is what I do:

a) Look at the checklists online. Cardboardconnection usually has them. I did this before buying some hoops boxes and specifically avoided some because they had limited Spurs. Of course you can always trade, and there is no guarantee you will even hit things you care about most, but knowing up front if it has the kind of things you even are interested in is important IMO.

b) Go to youtube and look at box breaks of the sets interested in. Do you like the look of the cards? Does it seem there is decent value? Are most people opening a bunch of 2nd round rookie hits which can dominate some sets, or is there potential value? I do this with the understanding that breaking boxes is not ultimately about money- heck, if I wanted best bang for buck I'd probably just pay cash for the cards I wanted most. But box breaks can give you a general feel for the cards, hits, etc.

c) What is your budget and goals? If you are wanting to build a base set, the type of box you might break is going to be different than if you want hits and/or higher $ cards. Do you care more about quantity of cards or quality of cards?
My son and I are kind of at two different points in collecting. I'm nearly 50 and have done the build a set thing. Have many in my collection I like. But at some point it becomes clutter- so I am very willing to spend what $ I have on higher end products with fewer cards, knowing I won't complete sets. My 19 YO son is just beginning and likes to accumulate, build sets, go for rainbows of players, etc. Bottom line is you need to make sure what you really want to accomplish has a chance to be accomplished with the box you buy.
Currently looking for 2010 John Elway Emblems of the Hall. Center must be filled with either info or auto. There are blank ones out there that are ugly....

I never thought about looking at box break videos. I'll try to find some. I'm not really a set builder. I mostly just want to add to my collection either pulling a card, trading or buying. Thanks Longshot

2015-16 ITG FINAL VAULT IS BUYBACKS THAT ITG BOUGHT BACK AND STAMPED 1/1 AND RESOLD.

THE 2015-16 ANTHOLOGY WAS PANINI'S WAY OF GETTING RID OF AUTO STICKERS THEY HAD LEFT AFTER THEY LOST THEIR NHL LICENSE. SO CARDS HAVE NO PHOTO ON THEM AT ALL.

AS FOR ME I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM BOTH UNLESS THEY ARE FREE.

Yeah no wonder they were fairly cheap. From what I saw the 2015 16 ANTHOLOGY had a few good hits but the Final Vault was crap. Think l will be looking into something else. Thanks for the help

See if you find anything of either box for sale on an auction site.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.