`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wax packs in the trash really

RE: wax packs in the trash really
(04-05-2017, 11:46 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I have packs for sale for 50 cents apiece in my shop (they're 1987-1992ish). Don't think I've sold any in months. Probably going to go in the trash as there's just no interest in them. I even have a 2-row shoebox full of 1992 Stadium Club packs (about 27 from each series) that I'll be throwing out too.

It's ashamed. People would rather have the shiny new stuff that's $10/pack over the older stuff. I loved opening the older stuff before I got my own shop.
You could offer them up to anyone willing to pay the postage and packaging? I am sure there would be some takers on that deal.
I also have a boatload of singles that most already have too...what to do with them is tough, but throwing them away should never be the answer!
When I was 13 I took 1977 and 1978 baseball cards and made wallpaper out of them in my bedroom...also not recommended!! Ha

When we moved in November, I threw away about 50k cards in my dumpster at work. It was all 1985-1992 crap. I kept a few complete sets, but even those sell for $1 plus shipping. So, you're losing money. But I kept a few things like 1993 Topps, 1989 UD, 1990 Leaf complete sets.

Other than those few things, most of it went in the trash. I can't tell you how many calls I get of people having "old, vintage" cards then they show up with 1990 Topps. I tell them they're worth about $2 a box (a 5-row box mind you), they're mind blown. They think they have this great find, only to find out they're worthless.

It's really ashamed. But it's just a fact of life. Hospitals won't take them any more. Not giving to Goodwill. So, only other option is to trash or burn for fire starter.

(04-05-2017, 11:51 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: You could offer them up to anyone willing to pay the postage and packaging? I am sure there would be some takers on that deal.
I also have a boatload of singles that most already have too...what to do with them is tough, but throwing them away should never be the answer!
When I was 13 I took 1977 and 1978 baseball cards and made wallpaper out of them in my bedroom...also not recommended!! Ha

(04-05-2017, 12:28 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: When we moved in November, I threw away about 50k cards in my dumpster at work. It was all 1985-1992 crap. I kept a few complete sets, but even those sell for $1 plus shipping. So, you're losing money. But I kept a few things like 1993 Topps, 1989 UD, 1990 Leaf complete sets.

Other than those few things, most of it went in the trash. I can't tell you how many calls I get of people having "old, vintage" cards then they show up with 1990 Topps. I tell them they're worth about $2 a box (a 5-row box mind you), they're mind blown. They think they have this great find, only to find out they're worthless.

It's really ashamed. But it's just a fact of life. Hospitals won't take them any more. Not giving to Goodwill. So, only other option is to trash or burn for fire starter.
Yeah, it is definitely a shame, but also shame on Topps and Upper Deck for printing so many copies back then. I guess garbage collectors (such as bman on this site) can try to find a use for them once thrown out.

I had to laugh out loud when I saw 1977 Topps cards on COMC at $44 per card! I can't believe that some ignorant soul thinks they are worth that...and not even stars or rookies, just commons from that year!!

Isn't there a dude on here who takes these cards and gives them out to young kids at his shows or something?
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

(04-05-2017, 02:03 PM)flamethrower Wrote: Isn't there a dude on here who takes these cards and gives them out to young kids at his shows or something?
Yes, Rich in Texas, but you have to ship them there.

I work for a non-profit that provides treatment for traumatized (abused) youth, When we receive card donations the kids eyes light up and they start trading. I would never tell anyone what to do with their cards, but maybe consider a youth organization.

I have also sent to Rich and he is very appreciative, but shipping can get expensive.

Scott

(04-05-2017, 02:33 PM)garrisc Wrote: I work for a non-profit that provides treatment for traumatized (abused) youth, When we receive card donations the kids eyes light up and they start trading. I would never tell anyone what to do with their cards, but maybe consider a youth organization.

I have also sent to Rich and he is very appreciative, but shipping can get expensive.

Scott
I have team bags with 15-20 cards from years 1977 to 2012, with 3 to 8 bags per team. Would your organization give me charitable credit for some of these? I am also sending some to Rich but there are over 175 bags.
Each bag has minimum $10 Beckett value.

(04-05-2017, 11:46 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I have packs for sale for 50 cents apiece in my shop (they're 1987-1992ish). Don't think I've sold any in months. Probably going to go in the trash as there's just no interest in them. I even have a 2-row shoebox full of 1992 Stadium Club packs (about 27 from each series) that I'll be throwing out too.

It's ashamed. People would rather have the shiny new stuff that's $10/pack over the older stuff. I loved opening the older stuff before I got my own shop.
You have to consider what the best possible card is that someone could pull from the pack. For instance in 1992 Stadium Club there isn't anything that comes to mind, so the interest in them is going to be very minimal at $0.50/pack. That being said, if you try to sell them all together for one low price (say $5 for the shoebox full) you might actually end up selling them. Now, there are some better packs, even from those overproduced years. However I doubt you have any 1989 Upper Deck or 1990 Leaf in the $0.50 bin, and if you do please let me know as I am sure we could work out a deal for them. Even aside from those 2 packs, there may still be some potential. For example 1989 Fleer has a good assortment of rookies and the potential for a few high valued error cards. Any 1987 product has potential as well. So before you go throwing them away, it's probably worth opening them up and at least seeing if you land a card worth keeping. Heck, use the example that started this thread, he ended up opening the packs and got some key rookies and a couple other $1+ cards.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I have a box sitting my the door in my shop. It's just base stuff that's been left behind by guys who bust product and only take the hits. Or base stuff from our store box breaks or whatever. It's all newer stuff, not the stuff from the 1980s-1990s. But I'll tell each kid as they come in to take a handful. We have baseball and football there by the door. They love that. Just something small.

(04-05-2017, 02:03 PM)flamethrower Wrote: Isn't there a dude on here who takes these cards and gives them out to young kids at his shows or something?

(04-05-2017, 02:42 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I have team bags with 15-20 cards from years 1977 to 2012, with 3 to 8 bags per team. Would your organization give me charitable credit for some of these? I am also sending some to Rich but there are over 175 bags.
Each bag has minimum $10 Beckett value.
I will check into it. The person I always gave my commons to in the Rec Dept always offered me a tax credit but I never took it. The person has now retired so I will look up the staff who took his place and get back to you. I just recently gave 2000 cards to six youth that I work with and they spent all that Saturday trading based on the picture, not the player or team. Thank you for the thought.