`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Rolling pickup thread. UPDATE 3/4

2017 Rolling pickup thread. UPDATE 3/4
Seems to be slow right now so I figured i would start a thread and show off some of my pickups this year. I will keep posting new things as I get them in.

I enjoy picking up oddball vintage items so I had to add these to my collection

1978 Topps Burger King sealed 3 card cello packs.

For the most part they are in excellent condition, some of the plastic on a few has become brittle or torn but I thought they are neat. I'm always amazed things like this have lasted unopened for this long.
[Image: bk%20topps.jpg]

Here is a cool story I found about the set

In late 1977, Burger King and Topps partnered to create a 22 card set of the New York Yankees Baseball Cards. Distribution of the set was limited to Burger King Restaurants located within the Tri-State area. This fairly well known set was given away at no cost to customers that purchased select BK Value Meals. To sweeten the deal even more, BK gave free Yankees Tickets to any kids who collected 5 or more of the cards.

George Steinbrenner went to a local BK to inspect the set that had been printed of his team. Much to his dismay his favorite player, Lou Pinella, had not been included in the set. Not one to miss out on an opportunity to speak his mind, Steinbrenner quickly demanded that Topps rectify the omission by printing a 23rd card to the set. This late edition to the already fully printed 22 card set featured none other then Lou Pinella. The Pinella card had a much lower print run that the other 22 cards, making it much more collectable and valuable. Sparky Lyle's gave an entertaining account of the events surrounding the 22 23 card set in his book "The Bronx Zoo":

"George loves Lou and hates it when he doesn't play. Lou is also George's son's idol. Last year when Burger King put out a set of baseball cards with the pictures of the Yankee players on them, they forgot to include Piniella, and George called them up, reamed their *****, and made them print a special Piniella card to add to the set."
Current wants:
2023 Topps Aces
Pete Rose
Ohio State Football
Adley Rutschman

RE: 2017 Rolling pickup thread
Yeah, I'm old... I remember tearing into these when I was younger...still have 'em! Even have some Topps Vault negatives/positives of many of these cards. Wish BK/Topps would offer these again.

GREAT PICKUP!!
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

Great pickups!

Great pick ups and an even better story.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: 2017 Rolling pickup thread. UPDATE 2/27
So today I got these oddball items in.

1977 Topps cloth sticker Pete Rose
[Image: rose.jpg]
1983 Perma Graphics Phillies
[Image: rose2.jpg]

The Schmidt ans Carlton are listed FT. Pete is PC
Current wants:
2023 Topps Aces
Pete Rose
Ohio State Football
Adley Rutschman

RE: 2017 Rolling pickup thread. UPDATE 3/4
So today's adventure in collecting takes me back to the early years of my collecting days.

I found an ad on Craigslist listing over 100 1987 rack packs. The picture I saw clearly had 87 but also 86 topps in it. The guys father had passed and they found this box in the closet. He was asking $30.00 so I could not pass for some reason.

All together there is 150 total packs. 100 from 87 and the rest are from 86.

No judging me..... and I have no idea what I want to do with them either

[Image: 87.jpg]
Current wants:
2023 Topps Aces
Pete Rose
Ohio State Football
Adley Rutschman

RE: 2017 Rolling pickup thread. UPDATE 3/4
I think those unopened rack packs are cool. Even f they are from 86 and 87. I have a ton from 87 myself. I like seeing star players on the front.
And that Pete Rose cloth card is sweet as well...
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283