`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age Old Advice Question:) Opinions Appreciated on this Pinstriper

RE: Age Old Advice Question:) Opinions Appreciated on this Pinstriper
(02-23-2017, 04:50 AM)osujeffrey Wrote: I am not going to grade it, not a fan of grading anyway, thanks, convinced now.
Oddly, if I do get a satisfactory deal made on this card I intend to obtain another Ruth bat card via its deal. I need the 2001 upper deck HOFers bat card of Ruth (and Clemente too) to complete the set.
That said, I will probably end up keeping it. I doubt a deal/sale/trade will be made that would equal the thrill of getting this.card.
Thanks Dr
Glad you came to your senses Smile
Hey, who are we to say what you should do or not do .. but totally understand that it could bring you more than enough money to pick up a card you REALLY want. That makes sense to me, if I think about it objectively and not like a mind numb, zombie, Yankee collector. What's a 'dream hit' to me is just another hit to someone else. Anyway, put it up on eBay with an insane BIN price with a Best offer option and see who nibbles at your bait. Sell it or keep it ... no matter what you do, you're a winner. Good luck.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Thanks, that is exactly what I am going to do. If nothing comes of it, it will become a treasure without measureSmile

I do not get graded cards either. The control freak in me does not like an unkown third party telling me how valuable or excellent a card is.. My favorite card (my 1979 pack bought Terry Bradshaw is an absolute train wreck, but one of my top ten cards.)

GREAT input and appreciated

(02-23-2017, 07:36 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Glad you came to your senses Smile
Hey, who are we to say what you should do or not do .. but totally understand that it could bring you more than enough money to pick up a card you REALLY want. That makes sense to me, if I think about it objectively and not like a mind numb, zombie, Yankee collector. What's a 'dream hit' to me is just another hit to someone else. Anyway, put it up on eBay with an insane BIN price with a Best offer option and see who nibbles at your bait. Sell it or keep it ... no matter what you do, you're a winner. Good luck.
Collecting Vintage football and all things Mickey Mantle.
[Image: th_598ff54f.jpg]

(02-22-2017, 12:16 PM)zeprock Wrote: That's an awesome card. I wouldn't be able to part with something historic like that.
+1
or + 5,000
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

sad that the industry thinks buying bats and jerseys etc. from the memorabilia market and destroy them in order to put them in cards is a good thing to do. the pieces in the cards have little significance compared to actually seeing and holding the actual bat or jersey. the card companies should also be caretakers of the history of the sport not destroyers of it.

I wonder if they bought the last 60 or so T206 Wagners, cut them up into small pieces and put them in a display with Wagner's picture everyone would say, heyy i want to buy that, i cant afford the whole card but a small piece of it is cool. Or a '52 Topps Mantle cut up for a display.

Still thinking it's a good idea?

Geez Sad
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

(02-24-2017, 08:47 AM)scottbdoug Wrote: sad that the industry thinks buying bats and jerseys etc. from the memorabilia market and destroy them in order to put them in cards is a good thing to do. the pieces in the cards have little significance compared to actually seeing and holding the actual bat or jersey. the card companies should also be caretakers of the history of the sport not destroyers of it.

I wonder if they bought the last 60 or so T206 Wagners, cut them up into small pieces and put them in a display with Wagner's picture everyone would say, heyy i want to buy that, i cant afford the whole card but a small piece of it is cool. Or a '52 Topps Mantle cut up for a display.

Still thinking it's a good idea?

Geez Sad
An interesting opinion, thanks. There will always be people for and against when it comes to game used memorabilia. I do not see a problem with it, I will never hold a bat swung by babe ruth nor will I hold a bat swung by the Iron horse. In addition I can not afford any vintage era collectable items from these two and so many others.

Personally and for me Game Used memorabilia is an affordable way to make me feel closer to my favorite era of baseball. I have poured over books like "Glory of Our Times" and others learning about amazing players and I now own a piece of something they used.

I see your point and just recommend you stay away from this side of the hobby.
Thanks for the input, food for thought...
Collecting Vintage football and all things Mickey Mantle.
[Image: th_598ff54f.jpg]

I'm no expert, nor am i 100% sure of what I'm about to say, But I would believe that these relics come from pieces of bats that may no longer be in a collectible state as a whole. I would be hard pressed to think anyone would be able to take a band saw to a Ruth bat that is in presentable condition. A broken off handle of a bat, perhaps?
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-24-2017, 01:52 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I'm no expert, nor am i 100% sure of what I'm about to say, But I would believe that these relics come from pieces of bats that may no longer be in a collectible state as a whole. I would be hard pressed to think anyone would be able to take a band saw to a Ruth bat that is in presentable condition. A broken off handle of a bat, perhaps?
I think they do this now a days for sure, and I could see them doing it on bats from Ruth's days, I'm just not sure they would have kept a broken bat from the 1920s. Unless maybe a fan got it or a batboy and decided to keep the broken piece. I can see both sides of the argument, but for the vast majority of collectors, myself included, there is no way we can afford a game used Ruth or Gehrig bat. The only way we can come close is cards like this. (Even though I still couldn't afford the card, but I can dream) I'd like to see how many cards can be made from one bat. It gotta be in the thousands, so I don't think there have been bats as many as we think that have been cut up for cards.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

(02-24-2017, 02:17 PM)bengalsandreds Wrote: I think they do this now a days for sure, and I could see them doing it on bats from Ruth's days, I'm just not sure they would have kept a broken bat from the 1920s. Unless maybe a fan got it or a batboy and decided to keep the broken piece. I can see both sides of the argument, but for the vast majority of collectors, myself included, there is no way we can afford a game used Ruth or Gehrig bat. The only way we can come close is cards like this. (Even though I still couldn't afford the card, but I can dream) I'd like to see how many cards can be made from one bat. It gotta be in the thousands, so I don't think there have been bats as many as we think that have been cut up for cards.
Ask Tanner. He dissected a Canseco GU bat into a Bat knob, Name plate, and about 100 big chunks. With the micro thin slices on the cards, I'd say 1000 slices or more, easily.

I would think that Topps had a bat, Upper Deck had a bat and Panini/Donruss had a bat and maybe Fleer back in the day. I bet each bat supplied a lifetime's worth of slices for cards, especially when they serial number those great player's bat cards in such short print runs. Nowadays player's bust bats every week. I wouldn't condone cutting up an historic collector's item either but if someone already did, I'd be on board to own a sliver of it. For all I know, someone's slicing up barn boards and that's what's in our cards.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(02-25-2017, 08:08 AM)zeprock Wrote: I would think that Topps had a bat, Upper Deck had a bat and Panini/Donruss had a bat and maybe Fleer back in the day. I bet each bat supplied a lifetime's worth of slices for cards, especially when they serial number those great player's bat cards in such short print runs. Nowadays player's bust bats every week. I wouldn't condone cutting up an historic collector's item either but if someone already did, I'd be on board to own a sliver of it. For all I know, someone's slicing up barn boards and that's what's in our cards.
AGREED.
Maybe its the same bat and they pass it around?
But, yeah, its a real leap of faith because there's really no scientific way to verify the bat slice. We're taking them on their word. Hopefully, their word is worth something to them and want to keep a good reputation. It took Topps nearly 3 years to fulfill my Ty Cobb bat relic card. Perhaps they were trying to actually get it from a reliable source ... otherwise, they could have used an old barn door and save themselves from me calling them every few weeks.