`
Connect With Us!
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some Baketball Players needing to be noticed!
02-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Some Baketball Players needing to be noticed!
I am going to only mention a couple players, but this is as I say, just a couple players which deserve some recognition in the price guide. I know a lot of people might argue that for cards to increase in price in the Beckett Monthly, it has to do with market activity. This is very true! However if you do not give players whom deserve recognition, any in the price guide by showing there cards going up, then nobody seems to be interested in those players. If you want the proof, just start showing Kahwi Leonard's cards rising in price. I guarantee people will be buying his cards. Leonard has won an NBA Championship, he averaging almost 30ppg this season, not to mention his rebounding and he's carrying his team with a decent record 41-13. Oh and if his cards are not selling, I sort of blame Beckett Monthly. Take Carmelo Anthony, he's another player that's gotten overlooked for a long time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2017, 04:59 PM
RE: Some Baketball Players needing to be noticed!
It does come down to the market. Beckett only list sales based on the reports they get. All of beckett's sale data comes from the brick-and-mortar (local) hobby stores that contribute to the sales assessment. Beckett can not raise (or lower) prices based on a players on-court performances. Yes, Carmelo Anthony is playing very well and in a big-market team, but the Knick's have not been winning in years - plus there is the whole will Carmelo be traded/ will he not be traded thing. all of that will have an impact on the sales of a player's cards. For Kahwi, yes he is a stud of a player, but he plays in a small market team. By your reasoning, LaMarcus Aldridge (A team mate of Kahwi and who i collect) should also see more recognition from beckett because of the numbers he's putting up. But, as Lamarcus has spent his entire career in small market teams, he doesn't get the hobby attention or sales he deserves. It all comes down to what the stores sell at. Simple as that.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.
02-17-2017, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 02:03 PM by phoenixrising34.)
Guys Beckett is pretty much asleep at the wheel when it comes to pricing cards lately, so don't get hopes up of much making sense.

I can point to several 2016 baseball cards that they lowered the prices on within the last week, yet they continue to sell at or in some cases a good bit above their book value.
Hell there's even one player where part of his cards from Bowman Chrome went up and the others went down.
That makes sense, right?

[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]
02-17-2017, 05:11 PM
You also have to consider regional premiums and demand.

02-20-2017, 12:23 PM
so wait...you are asking beckett to try to manipulate the market?

onedollardutch.blogspot.com
02-23-2017, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 11:21 AM by saj1226.)
(02-15-2017 04:59 PM)taffster74 Wrote:  It does come down to the market. Beckett only list sales based on the reports they get. All of beckett's sale data comes from the brick-and-mortar (local) hobby stores that contribute to the sales assessment. Beckett can not raise (or lower) prices based on a players on-court performances. Yes, Carmelo Anthony is playing very well and in a big-market team, but the Knick's have not been winning in years - plus there is the whole will Carmelo be traded/ will he not be traded thing. all of that will have an impact on the sales of a player's cards. For Kahwi, yes he is a stud of a player, but he plays in a small market team. By your reasoning, LaMarcus Aldridge (A team mate of Kahwi and who i collect) should also see more recognition from beckett because of the numbers he's putting up. But, as Lamarcus has spent his entire career in small market teams, he doesn't get the hobby attention or sales he deserves. It all comes down to what the stores sell at. Simple as that.

Well if you own a card shop for instance, and Beckett prices cards according to data given by you, doesn't it make sense to not offer any data if it's going to negative. Also, bare in mind, that if you only offer information on cards which selling, than you might as well burn your other cards which are not. People owning card shops (Dealers) are screwing their selves and collectors both by offering any data at all, if it's going to have negative market impact. Another angle is that if for instance dealers can offer data which affects the market, then they can always get rid of their cards first then give negative data against certain players. Also, yes I definitely believe players like La Marcus Aldridge RC's should be increasing in price. What I am suggesting is that players still actively playing, in the sports of EX: NFL/NBA/NHL, etc need to be noticed a bit more than what Beckett is offering, especially like Matt Ryan. His cards should not be going down if they are not selling, but instead staying the same price. EX: I think Peyton Manning's cards for instance have always been undervalued, especially for all his accomplishments (Manning's most expensive RC is under $100 that's a laugh. I'm not saying he's Tom Brady winning five super bowls, However, bare in mind, with Brady's offensive line/having all day to throw in the pocket, Manning could have pulled off winning 5 SB's as well.
02-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Saj, you don't seem to be getting it. It's all based on sales info from the card stores that contribute. For example - you take a Carmelo Anthony Card. Let's say, 2016-17 Hoops base. In a New York Hobby store it sells - on average for US$2. In Los Angeles that same card sells in a hobby store for, say, US$0.50. Beckett has to take all sales submitted, and work out the average value - both at high and low market values. They do not take into consideration regional premiums. So the New York Value won't affect the overall high pricing too much - it becomes part of the average.

It also comes down to the buyers themselves. It's not like the old days of the 1990's where sales were dictated by fan base. Unfortunately, these days you have a lot of unscrupulous people called investors who will buy up key cards of players based on player performance. This has had a major effect on the market because - even though there are people who collect purely for the love of the hobby - the market is now largely based on player performance. Take Steph Curry for example. Up until two years ago, his rookie cards (and subsequent all boxes from that year) could be picked up for reasonably cheap. Look at the prices now. All of this has been driven by his performance on the court and his teams success. Carmelo on the other hand ... yes, he has been a top performer but his teams have not been winning - especially since he joined the knicks. Performance and winning dictates the market these days.

Put it this way, if you collect players who's values aren't overly high, be thankful. It means you can pick them reasonably cheap, making completing a pc that much easier. Don't worry too much about what beckett says.