`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number Seven no longer retired

Number Seven no longer retired
According to Beckett news, Topps is taking number 7 out of retirement and putting it back into circulation. It was retired years and years ago in honor of Mickey Mantle. The Topps flagship Series 1 card number 7 would 'forever' be retired (unless used for a Mantle card) but I guess since The Mantle Estate and Topps couldn't come to terms the past few years, Topps isn't going to continue its promise.
My reaction in the comment section on the website as follows:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2017-topps-b...y-sanchez/

Hopefully all you baseball fans feel similarly outraged and will voice your opinions, too. Retired MEANS retired, right?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Number Seven no longer retired
(01-30-2017, 01:36 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Retired MEANS retired, right?
not when there's money to be made!
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

Personally, it doesn't affect me either way but if I was to choose, they said it was retired it should stay retired. Not sure why they would change it, there is no benefit to have a #7 that I can see, and it makes them look like liars when they decide to change their minds.
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

I agree....retired means retired. This urks me like when a star athlete has two or three retirement/comeback stints.
It does no good to get on the right track if you are headed in the wrong direction.
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/baseballmason1958/st_louis_ca
rdinals_towel-1.jpg[/img]

Retired means retired. You should not be able to "unretire" a number. No team has ever taken a retired number off their wall. It looks as if this is just sour grapes on Topps part but it comes across as being disrespectful. I'm a Red Sox fan but I still think they need to leave the Yankee legend's number retired.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Topps made this promise a big, big deal when it made it years ago.

Now one has to wonder about Topps' honesty at least a little bit - - which isn't good given our hobby isn't exactly known to be entirely honest to begin with...
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

I honestly don't care. Retire it, un-retire it, whatever. Just give me quality cards at a not-insane price.

What's the fascination with Mantle, anyway? I know his cards drove the hobby for decades. But retiring Mantle, but not Mays... or Aaron... or Griffey... seems arbitrary.

As far as this topic goes - I don't care either way. I didn't even know #7 was retired until I read this thread.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Check Out My Cards
-------------------------------------------------------------

What Topps doesn't realize is that it actually comes off looking better if #7 stays retired, whether or not the issue is resolved with the estate.

The intent was to honor the player, not the contract with the estate.

I'm with Doc on this one.

It should stay retired...the 52 Mantle is what people think of right away when you hear "baseball cards". It's disappointing but not surprising that Topps would do this. Agreement or not with the Mantle family, it should stay retired.