`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Naming convention for Topps Update Chrome

Naming convention for Topps Update Chrome
So I checking yet again to see if 2016 Topps Update Chrome cards have been priced yet, and it got me wondering about the set name. While everyone calls the cards 2016 Topps Update Chrome (or Chrome Update), Beckett has them listed as 2016 Topps Chrome Holiday Mega Box. So it made me wonder, if that was the case for previous years, since the same distribution format has been used for these packs for the past 4 years. Starting in 2013 when Topps made the holiday mega boxes with 2 packs of Update Chrome, the cards are listed in Beckett as 2013 Topps Chrome Update, same thing in 2014. Then in 2015 the name changed slightly, as Beckett swapped the order of Update and Chrome, to come up with 2015 Topps Update Chrome. Now this year they left the word Update off altogether and put the extra wordy "2016 Topps Chrome Holiday Mega Box".
Anyone have any idea why Beckett didn't keep the name consistent?
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Naming convention for Topps Update Chrome
My guess? They forgot to pay for the licensing fee of the letter "U" for use in their alphanumeric system past the usage of the Update Series of their flagship product released just prior to this new Panini deal with ABC. It seems that Panini outfoxed Topps and nailed down the exclusive use of the letter "U" until the year 2020. BTW: Post Alpha-bits Cereal and Campbell's Alphabet soup will cease and desist the use of "U" in their products to avoid copyright confusion, but limited use by non-profit entities, pre-schools & Elementary Schools has been grandfathered in. Public singing and professional recording of the ABC song will have to be preapproved by Panini on a case by case basis for the use of the lyric "T-U-V"
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(01-09-2017, 03:22 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: My guess? They forgot to pay for the licensing fee of the letter "U" for use in their alphanumeric system past the usage of the Update Series of their flagship product released just prior to this new Panini deal with ABC. It seems that Panini outfoxed Topps and nailed down the exclusive use of the letter "U" until the year 2020. BTW: Post Alpha-bits Cereal and Campbell's Alphabet soup will cease and desist the use of "U" in their products to avoid copyright confusion, but limited use by non-profit entities, pre-schools & Elementary Schools has been grandfathered in. Public singing and professional recording of the ABC song will have to be preapproved by Panini on a case by case basis for the use of the lyric "T-U-V"
I think somebody ate too many cookies and drank too much eggnog...LOL

(01-09-2017, 04:37 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I think somebody ate too many cookies and drank too much eggnog...LOL
That might explain a lot of other things going on with me, too. Smile LOL
Seriously, it's really not Beckett, but Topps. The card numbering was i.e. US123 or U123 ... now the Chrome updates have a HMT123 alphanumeric ... so Topps started it and Beckett is reflecting what Topps did with the name. (HM= Holiday Megabox ?)
Sometimes searching for the correct name of the card on Beckett OPG is as hard as it was searching for missing cards at shows & LCS before the internet and eBay came into the picture. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.