`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Beckett and New to Collecting

RE: New to Beckett and New to Collecting
Welcome. My advise is open wax for fun and buy pc if you can't find what you want for trade. It's a process and takes time and striking a balance between trading and buying. I wouldn't have a lot of the cards I have without the help of all the trading communities I've been involved with and the relationships and connections made.
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

Yeah, busting boxes is fun, especially if you collect base and rainbow stuff. But it is cheaper/more efficient to buy singles for a player/team collection from ebay, beckett market place, Comc, or individuals.

As for the photos, photo bucket works, or some, like me, use Sportscardalbum. You upload cards to there, and then copy the file and past to your post in beckett. Some have links in their signatures, but there are a lot of threads here in this forum, of us showing off our collections. Check out Phinphans for dolphins, he has a sick collection! There are major collectors of Mark Brunell, Terrell Davis, and Packers Prizm cards, and more! Just browse through the forum topics, or you can use the search bar.

You may consider case breaks of getting what you are looking for instead of buying full boxes for yourself. If you are in fact only collecting Raiders or specific Raiders, you are going to end up with a lot of cards you don't want by just busting full boxes. True, you will pull some cards that can be sold or traded for what you really like but inevitably you will have some amount of cards nobody wants in trade.

This is also a good way to get some really rare or short printed cards without having to pay huge amounts. Obviously it is possible to be skunked on a break too but my losses are usually much smaller than busting an entire box and getting nothing cool.

Welcome and hope your enjoying the hobby so far. I started collecting as a kid than didn't start again til my late 20s. Took a few years off and now I'm addicted again lol. It is alot of fun but can be time consuming and expensive. My wife hates it lol. But I wish you luck on your collection and would advise you to pick a better team haha I'm just kidding. But if I ever come across any Raiders I will let you know. Take care and good luck.

Sam

Thanks everybody for welcoming me to the hobby and the boards. I appreciate it!

As far as breaks go I'm a bit skittish on them. I've only done one so far and got burnt pretty bad, at least that's what I've been told. I had won an auction on eBay for the "Oakland Raiders" in a break and was pretty thrilled about it. Then the break happened and during the break a Bo Jackson signed plate 1/1 got pulled but the guy said that I wouldn't get it because it was for the "Los Angeles Raiders", yet there was no listing for the "Los Angeles Raiders" for the break, just the "Oakland Raiders" which is the one I had won. Being my first break I just assumed this is kinda how it worked. But had talked to a friend and he said that I pretty much got boned. So I think from this point I'd prefer to just trade, but I'm not exactly sure how that works online. Do you just set up a trade with somebody and send your stuff or does it all go through a third party kinda thing or what?

(01-11-2017, 04:15 AM)MichaelSmith87 Wrote: Thanks everybody for welcoming me to the hobby and the boards. I appreciate it!

As far as breaks go I'm a bit skittish on them. I've only done one so far and got burnt pretty bad, at least that's what I've been told. I had won an auction on eBay for the "Oakland Raiders" in a break and was pretty thrilled about it. Then the break happened and during the break a Bo Jackson signed plate 1/1 got pulled but the guy said that I wouldn't get it because it was for the "Los Angeles Raiders", yet there was no listing for the "Los Angeles Raiders" for the break, just the "Oakland Raiders" which is the one I had won. Being my first break I just assumed this is kinda how it worked. But had talked to a friend and he said that I pretty much got boned. So I think from this point I'd prefer to just trade, but I'm not exactly sure how that works online. Do you just set up a trade with somebody and send your stuff or does it all go through a third party kinda thing or what?
Yes, the guy doing the break cheated badly! I have done 8 or 9 breaks on SportsBoxBreaks.com and have had a great experience with them. The prices are competitive and the two owners are great.
As far as trading, once you have your Organize setup, you can indicate whether they are available for trade and wait for someone to request, or you can look for a specific card to see who has it and start a trade. All trades are direct between the two, but you can check the other guy's Profile to see their trade score out of 5. Most traders will be willing to guide you through the process without you getting boned.

Welcome to Beckett, there is a trading group here on Beckett. Check it out and feel free to PM me with any questions.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1605575.html
Banner courtesy of Blaynero
[Image: titans.jpg]
Wants Houston Oilers, Titans, Steelers, & Nolan Ryan as well as 1960, 1971 & 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates. Looking for 2013 National Treasures NFL Shield Football Signatures #16 Justin Hunter /2

(01-11-2017, 04:15 AM)MichaelSmith87 Wrote: Thanks everybody for welcoming me to the hobby and the boards. I appreciate it!

Holy cow! Yeah, you got screwed on that one!Who was the breaker? We can pass the name around. Breaks can are a lot like gambling lol. There's no guarantee that you get any cards, much less a good one. I've gotten nothing in several breaks. Only one really great card. A few cheap PC cards. But you gotta decide what the goal is. I can't afford to buy a box, much less a case, of stuff like National Treasures, but I can sometimes buy into a case for my team. Risk reward.

For breakers, I've heard good things about Ripkings, though I've only used them once. 702 Breakers from eBay I've had good experiences with. And Jaspy's Hobby land.