`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Archives 65th Anniversary Walmart exclusive

RE: 2016 Archives 65th Anniversary Walmart exclusive
(01-05-2017, 09:21 AM)djohn Wrote: The autos I got were Jose Vidro, Jose Cruz Jr, and Sparky Lyle. I will try to check for doubles I might have, in case you need any. I also need to see how far I am from putting the set together. As if I need a bunch, then I will just end up waiting for these to hit DAC or BO clearance later this year and buy some more boxes to work on the set then.
Good plan ... no doubt they'll eventually be 'blown out' at BO or remaindered at a discount in Walmart. Right now I have 27/65 card set with 13 duplicates so I agree, I don't have enough base & dupes to trade in order to complete my set. More boxes for me, too!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I busted three, and got two Kent Tekulve autos.

My third auto was Harold Baines, and I always kind of liked him, so that saved the break for me.

But no, I will not be doing any more.

Kent Tekulve? Jose Vidro? Jose Cruz Jr.?

Man, what a stinker of an auto checklist. Can't wait for the 75th anniversary set so I can finally pull highly sought after Brad Lidge, Alex Ochoa and Nick Punto graphs.
Kepler

(01-05-2017, 11:02 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Kent Tekulve? Jose Vidro? Jose Cruz Jr.?

Man, what a stinker of an auto checklist. Can't wait for the 75th anniversary set so I can finally pull highly sought after Brad Lidge, Alex Ochoa and Nick Punto graphs.
Yeah, it sucks. Like, the first box I bought, I pulled a Tekulve, and actually laughed because I had read like two or three other posts where they had also pulled him.

So I was just going to be one and done, but then the next time I went in I saw they had two boxes left, so I grabbed them.

Harold Baines was my first auto (not bad, I always liked him when I was a kid), so I thought my luck was turning.

Then, third box ... another Tekulve.

I was beyond pissed - 50 bucks for two Tekulve autos, basically.

(01-05-2017, 11:13 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yeah, it sucks. Like, the first box I bought, I pulled a Tekulve, and actually laughed because I had read like two or three other posts where they had also pulled him.

So I was just going to be one and done, but then the next time I went in I saw they had two boxes left, so I grabbed them.

Harold Baines was my first auto (not bad, I always liked him when I was a kid), so I thought my luck was turning.

I was never a Baines fan, but I definitely wouldn't mind pulling him from a retail product - not a ton of autos, borderline HOF player. Definitely not a bad pull for a low-price product.

But a lot of these guys would be collectible to pretty much team collectors and the player's moms. lol
Kepler

(01-05-2017, 11:24 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: I was never a Baines fan, but I definitely wouldn't mind pulling him from a retail product - not a ton of autos, borderline HOF player. Definitely not a bad pull for a low-price product.

But a lot of these guys would be collectible to pretty much team collectors and the player's moms. lol
For me it's more about collation ... same WalMart, so you assume they came in the same case - two identical autos.

Like, a couple of years ago in regular Archives, I bought two blasters and pulled autos of Conine and Tony Fernandez - good, solid players, borderline iconic for those fan bases, so I was pretty happy with those.

But two of the same guy out of two boxes?

That's just lazy on Topps' part ... their collation is pretty bad at times.

(01-05-2017, 11:13 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yeah, it sucks. Like, the first box I bought, I pulled a Tekulve, and actually laughed because I had read like two or three other posts where they had also pulled him.

Feel your pain: 4 boxes w/2 Tekulve's, Jose Cruz out of the first 3. Did get "lucky" and pull an Aaron Nola in the last box. VERY poor collation!

It does no good to get on the right track if you are headed in the wrong direction.
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/baseballmason1958/st_louis_ca
rdinals_towel-1.jpg[/img]

(01-05-2017, 04:35 PM)baseballmason Wrote: Feel your pain: 4 boxes w/2 Tekulve's, Jose Cruz out of the first 3. Did get "lucky" and pull an Aaron Nola in the last box. VERY poor collation!
Yeah, and it stinks, because at the price point it's just tempting enough to grab one every time you see it.

But I really am not doing any more of these.

(01-05-2017, 11:58 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: For me it's more about collation ... same WalMart, so you assume they came in the same case - two identical autos.
Like, a couple of years ago in regular Archives, I bought two blasters and pulled autos of Conine and Tony Fernandez - good, solid players, borderline iconic for those fan bases, so I was pretty happy with those.
But two of the same guy out of two boxes?
That's just lazy on Topps' part ... their collation is pretty bad at times.
Yeah, their collation is always terrible ... but never with anyone great. Never pull dupes of Bryant, Harper, Trout or Correa from 2 out of 3 blasters ... instead, its always Tony Fernandez, Jose Cruz or Dillon Maples.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(01-05-2017, 06:01 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: ...
But I really am not doing any more of these.
Mmm Hmm....
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...