`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fakes

Fakes
Has anyone ever noticed that there is a serious number of accusations of fakes in message boards around the internet these days. I come across them all the time. Yet I rarely see an explanation on why the cards showing or linked (usually to an eBay auction) are fake.

I wonder how many of these cards that are fakes actually aren't and are said to be because of the huge number of unique or short-printed cards are being produced these days leading to people making mistakes.

At least if you accuse someone of selling a fake, show the reason why you think it is a fake. It will make us less knowledgeable buyers more aware of things to look for.

http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

RE: Fakes
Over the past few years as printing processes have become easier and cheaper for people to attain quality prints at home, the number of fakes has dramatically increased. I have seen sellers on eBay who list cards as "RP" and then in the description state that it's a reprint, yet there is no marking on the card anywhere to identify it as such. I have seen others that don't state anything in the title, but only in the description. These are usually for vintage rookies, but sometimes are also for somewhat newer cards. The big problem is when someone buys these cards and then decides to resell them as originals (either because they don't know any better and believe it to be real, or because they are trying to swindle someone else). I have seen way too many fake cards over the past few years to be willing to buy mint looking vintage cards off eBay unless they're graded.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

with older cards its more simple, it is a fake or not a fake. People know that that vintage card exists. So when they call fake it is usually from knowing why. No one accuses a vintage card as being a fake because that vintage card never existed at anytime. If you understand what I mean.

With modern cards there are so many short print cards and 1/1 cards that knowing whether a card is fake or not is quite difficult. Pertaining to whether it ever actually existed or not at least. How can you call a card a fake when you have never actually seen the original? I can only guess but I would wager many cards that are called fake actually arent. But i could easily be wrong.

It does make you wonder why anyone is willing to spend large sums of money for unique cards when what they are buying could easily be fake and they wouldnt even know it. Even Beckett has a hard time keeping up with what is out there, and actually having images of these ultra-rare cards is an impossibility, even for them.
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

I would think the biggest target of fakes would be Bowman Chrome prospects autographs because they are always on-card signatures that would be quite easy for those with hand-writing skills.