`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Memories of pulling specific cards?

Memories of pulling specific cards?
Made this thread in baseball, too, but I have a great memory of pulling an awesome basketball card. (Well, it was an amazing pull at the time.)

1993-94 Skybox Premium Draft Picks insert of Chris Webber

It was one of the hottest cards out of the hottest rookie that year.

I pulled it from a pack of cards that I bought from a card store that used to be in Belmar, NJ. (The location is now All State Insurance.)

Anyway, I used to stay on my dad's boat on weekends, so we'd drive to the shore on Friday after school and then back home on Sunday.

I pulled the card on a Sunday on the way home and then I fell asleep in the van (we had one of those huge conversion vans that has a bed in the back) and when we got home I woke up in a big puddle of drool. =X

I didn't care, though, because I had pulled such a great card!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Memories of pulling specific cards?
Two memories for me. Back in 1998 when jersey cards were hard to pull I was living in southern New Mexico and had to go to a meeting in Albuquerque. If I was going there I always stopped by Bubba's Baseball Bullpen as it was the "card store" of the state. Walk in and there were five packs of Upper Deck basketball in an open box. I buy the five and Bubba opens a new box so I can get a box price.

Rip enough packs to get to 24 and of course that left five packs. I pay and go to the car to leave. Something says, "don't leave those five packs there" So I go back in and buy the five packs. In the third pack was this card,

[Image: GoodPulls288.jpg]

Huge pull back in those days

Fast forward to the next year and a card store was open where I lived. Upper Deck basketball had come out and I stopped by to buy some packs. I don't remember exactly what it was but you got three inserts in the box. In the packs that I purchased that day I hit two of them. I pay out and leave.

Go back the next day to see if anyone had pulled the third insert. Nobody had bought anything from the open box, so I buy some packs and again could not believe my luck. Again back in the days when jersey cards were about one a case

What was in the packs?

[Image: GoodPulls289.jpg]

Two years in a row, I hit one of the biggest cards in the hobby.

For me it was a 2009-10 Upper Deck Signature Collection Michael Jordan Auto!

I loved this product because it was so Jordan heavy. I was downtown with my wife and went to my LCS to browse while she was in a cooking store. They had one box left and I decided to buy it. When I got home my wife left to go to a friends house and I was home alone to bust the box. As I got into the box I remember thinking to myself how many Jordan cards I was hitting. The product guaranteed 3 GU and 1 Auto. As I was going through I hit all three my GU and was still continuing to hit Jordan inserts. I remember thinking to myself that this was Jordan box and I still had my auto to pull. In the next pack after thinking it I pulled the Jordan auto. It was the craziest feeling because it was my first Jordan Auto card I had and I am a huge Jordan collector! Here is a link to what the card looks like (not my auction!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-10-Upper-De...Sw4GVYMkV4

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(12-18-2016, 09:05 PM)ronfir Wrote: Two memories for me. Back in 1998 when jersey cards were hard to pull I was living in southern New Mexico and had to go to a meeting in Albuquerque. If I was going there I always stopped by Bubba's Baseball Bullpen as it was the "card store" of the state. Walk in and there were five packs of Upper Deck basketball in an open box. I buy the five and Bubba opens a new box so I can get a box price.

Rip enough packs to get to 24 and of course that left five packs. I pay and go to the car to leave. Something says, "don't leave those five packs there" So I go back in and buy the five packs. In the third pack was this card,

[Image: GoodPulls288.jpg]

Huge pull back in those days

Fast forward to the next year and a card store was open where I lived. Upper Deck basketball had come out and I stopped by to buy some packs. I don't remember exactly what it was but you got three inserts in the box. In the packs that I purchased that day I hit two of them. I pay out and leave.

Go back the next day to see if anyone had pulled the third insert. Nobody had bought anything from the open box, so I buy some packs and again could not believe my luck. Again back in the days when jersey cards were about one a case

What was in the packs?

[Image: GoodPulls289.jpg]

Two years in a row, I hit one of the biggest cards in the hobby.
That is amazing! Wow!

There was an LCS in my neighborhood and I got to be pretty good friends with the owner, so he would often trade packs for singles I had pulled.

Back in 2004 I had an extra Eli Manning auto to trade, and he just happened to have a new box of SP Authentic basketball.

We worked out a deal that I would trade the Manning for enough packs until I hit the first auto.

The gamble was, even if it was Ndudi Ebi or something, the trade was complete.

I opened about 9 packs and hadn't hit an auto yet, and he was like, "Dude, you are killing my profits, let me pick them for you," and grabbed four packs and handed them to me.

Then this happens:

[Image: LeBronFront.jpg]

Pretty crazy. I sold it after Miami lost to Dallas in the Finals in LeBron's first year with the Heat, and I have regretted it every day since.

But, still my all-time favorite pull.

That's a hell of a LeBron card.

I just happened to remember another great basketball pull. Better than the one in my first post, actually.

1994-95 Upper Deck Collector's Choice Gold Signature Michael Jordan

I have a video of it! http://youtu.be/q2i8SFP24bY

I bought a box of 1994-95 Collector's Choice basketball at a card show at the mall in Phillipsburg, NJ. This was back when Jordan was retired from basketball the first time, so I didn't expect to get a card of his at all.

I knew going into the box break that there was a guarantee of one gold signature (facsimile) parallel per box.

I don't remember which pack I got the Jordan in, but I was so unbelievably excited when I pulled it.

At the time it booked for $200. It dipped in price quite a bit after that, but now that MJ's cards are going up in price again, it goes for around $80-100.

Several actually..... the first year that Metal came out i went to one of my local card stores in Parramatta, Sydney (Aus), and bought a pack of metal. Pulled the penny hardaway slick silver (big deal in those days). I traded it in for some packs of something else. Went to another store, bought another pack of metal ... and you wouldn't believe it .... penny hardaway slick silver again!!!

Second memory, back when the local comic shop (dee's books and comics in Belconnen ACT, Australia) started getting in basketball again, i bought most of a box of 2004-05 Ultra and got a couple of big hits - J.R smith Season Crown Signatures, Carmelo Anthony SCoring Kings GU, Shaquille O'Neal Top Ten and .... Lebron James Platinum Medallion. Needless to say, i was happy.

A few years later (2011) i bought a couple packs of Rookies and Stars and pulled John Wall RC. Chuffed.

in 2013, i bought a few packs of panini threads and pulled .... wait for it .... Anthony Davis RC.

Almost forgot, back when Playoff Contenders first hit the shelves i bought a few packs of it. Pulled the Griffins .... Taylor and Blake. Funny story ... a few months later i bought a box of Contenders, pulled the Blake GRiffin RC .... again.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

I had a card shop literally one block from my house as a kid. The shop owner literally called your parents the first time you wanted to spend more than $5 to make sure it was okay with them. Well, I spent that $5 on one pack of 94-95 Emotion- and out came a Michael Jordan Ntense insert. Still have it. Couldn't believe it!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

my best basketball was finest. They were about 25 a pack as kobe blew up and decided to try one. Needless to say, hit a kobe and was happy.
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

Most memorable pull was back in 1997, I was eleven years old and my dad and I bought some 1996-1997 Ultra Basketball from Wal-Mart...I pulled a Shaq Court Masters card, a pretty neat plexi-glass style insert and my dad pulled a Kobe Bryant Fresh Faces rookie insert. And I think a week before that I had pulled a Jordan Topps Profiles insert card.