`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Set Collectors

2017 Set Collectors
Since 2013 I have focused on collecting entire base sets, insert sets, and colored parallels, including Chrome versions. As I look ahead to 2017, I am getting frustrated with the choices:

Panini Prizm - gone
Donruss - too simple
Bowman - ugly design for 2017
Topps - too large of a set
Heritage - not into it
Ginter & Allen - why can't they just do baseball (yes, I put G & A for ghastly awful)
Topps Update - maybe, if there weren't so many dupes in a box
Other Topps products - too expensive and nearly impossible to collect base set

In 2016, I opened Topps Series 1, Bowman, Platinum, Topps Gold Label and a football product.

Anybody have a viable alternative for 2017 or think one of the above will be great?

RE: 2017 Set Collectors
What about Donruss Optic? Those color variations look really good and even the base have that nice Chrome look to them.
Kepler

(11-03-2016, 02:12 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: What about Donruss Optic? Those color variations look really good and even the base have that nice Chrome look to them.
Yeah, I did grab a few Optic Twins' cards in a trade. Not sure what the 2017 version will look like (if they bring it back).

Extra edtion or diamond kings

(11-03-2016, 03:33 PM)buckles2335 Wrote: Extra edtion or diamond kings
Oh, yeah, I like Extra Edition but the 2016 price tag was too much late in the year after I had already committed to Gold Label.
Diamond Kings...I have seen a bit but not sure about the matte-looking finish.
Thanks for the suggestions.

What, you don't like to get a card full of hair?
I collect Peyton Manning and Griffey Jr.
My Bucket: http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/soccerscrub78
[Image: manning-griffeybanner2.jpg]

(11-04-2016, 08:21 AM)soccerscrub Wrote: What, you don't like to get a card full of hair?
Ha! I saw something about that on one of the forum threads. I was actually thinking about the animals, celebrities, and historical figures...but, seriously??!!

I love how the whole point of Allen & Ginter goes over the heads of people and they continue to complain about all the non baseball cards in it. that's the point. It's a tribute to the sets that started this whole hobby. That's one of the reasons I love it.
Is this thing on?

(11-04-2016, 09:07 AM)shivelycore Wrote: I love how the whole point of Allen & Ginter goes over the heads of people and they continue to complain about all the non baseball cards in it. that's the point. It's a tribute to the sets that started this whole hobby. That's one of the reasons I love it.
It does not go over the heads of people...the point is actually that they should not call it a baseball product. If odd stuff is considered cool, so be it, but then call it what it is. Nobody called 'Tales From the Crypt' a baseball card box!

Opening Day is normally fun to bust and put together - and is reasonably priced.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.