`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossover Customs on Canvas

Crossover Customs on Canvas
For the longest time, I have been dreaming up ideas about doing some customs with a much more artsyfeel to them. I won't make this too terribly long, but I was inspired to start playing around with some ideas today.

The first one I decided to play with was a 1989 Score card. I have childhood memories of this card - primarily when I had to "settle" for it since the card shop didn't have the new 1989 Topps card I wanted. Dad griped at me for complaining, so I got the Score card, and grew to love it.

[Image: JoseCansecoPC1989178.jpg]

The junk wax era cards are under appreciated, so I definitely wanted to do something a little different.

After several different tries, I made a "new" 1989 Score variation. I made the picture portion look like it was a painting, and made the card on a canvas.

[Image: 20161021_002803.jpg]

It is fun doing work on old cards like this, because somehow, it takes me back to my childhood and gets me excited about them all over again.

I LOVE the canvas texture on this ....

[Image: 20161021_003436.jpg]

Next up, I've been wanting to do some crossover customs by using card designs from different sports for my collection.

First up is the 1989-90 Fleer basketball design. I did some artsy-fartsy stuff with the picture, and put this on canvas as well. Voila! Mafia Canseco. #youtalkintome? #howyoudoin?

[Image: 20161021_003158.jpg]

Last, but certainly not least (because this is the whole reason I started this project!) I wanted to take two HUGELY (or bigly, as Trump would say) iconic designs for basketball and football. The 1986-87 Fleer basketball design:

[Image: 20161021_002841.jpg]

[Image: 20161021_003335.jpg]

And the 1986 Topps Football design:

[Image: 20161021_002936.jpg]

[Image: 20161021_003254.jpg]

I thought about doing regular versions of each card on the canvas, which I did as well, but they were just a bit boring to me. For now, I'm really digging the art feel on these. The final cards really feel like they are pieces of art. Hey, who's to say one day someone won't put blown up versions of 80's junk wax cards on the walls in art galleries. It could happen, right?

[Image: gallery.jpg]

This is the kind of project I could EASILY see immersing myself into and creating tons more like this, but for now I think this will hold me over until I get distracted again and move to another project.

[Image: 20161021_004728.jpg]

Here is a video of me showing the cards on camera!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUHXQJY9NJY

http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2016/10/can...overs.html
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

RE: Crossover Customs on Canvas
As always, your creations are pretty awesome! I do enjoy the art on the wall in the gallery look! haha I keep telling my wife, i need to put some of my prized cards in some frames and throw them on the wall. All to no avail, but I feel if I can ever get my man cave that I NEED, then hello card art wall to wall! haha
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

Great works of art! Love the canvas card texture!

Back in the 90s I tried to do a couple of 24" X 36" large Marker drawings of a Topps 1988 Mattingly card and a Topps 1986 Mattingly card. If I ever find them, I'll post a pic. IIRC, one came out good, the other didn't make it past layout.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Thanks guys! Just added a video at the end of my article. @DrMitchJ would definitely love to see it! @woogie23 ... tis better to beg forgiveness then ask permission ... just fill your house with baseball art when she is gone one day Smile
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile

On first glance, I thought it looked like a stained glass card until I saw the texture. Cool stuff.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

My favorite of those in terms of aesthetics is actually the 89-90 Fleer basketball. I think the picture you chose goes really well with the art makeover you did on it.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Wonderful stuff!

I've been looking at this art which is on distressed wood as you may be able to see. It's a commercially available print anyone can buy at 20x32" or 15x26". How tough would it be to get a card image onto something like this??

[Image: spaulding-s-baseball-guide-vintage-vinta...=618&h=970]
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

man those are sick Tanner!!! you are just too creative!!! awesome work!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Thanks all! @oneofakindcards - that is a very slick piece. i think that'd look cool on canvas or wood or ... anything actually Smile