`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
How did you get started in the hobby?

RE: How did you get started in the hobby?
(09-16-2016, 08:19 AM)richk Wrote: 1968 for me. 3rd Series.
Rich - are you pumped for Heritage next March since it's the 1968 design? I know I am....one of my most favorite sets of all-time! (currently putting it together also)

Happy Collecting!

Mark

I have been on the Heritage Bandwagon since it began -- so I'm looking forward to next year as I have looked forward to every year since 2001.

Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

(09-16-2016, 01:27 PM)richk Wrote: I have been on the Heritage Bandwagon since it began -- so I'm looking forward to next year as I have looked forward to every year since 2001.

Rich
I have always avoided Heritage because I don't like vintage (I know, everybody is a different type of collector) but the 2017 design actually intrigues me enough to pull the trigger on a box or two.

Heritage is a product that traditionally is case cost effective in that as long as you purchase a case at a reasonable price level, you will make money on the case. So go for the box and enjoy the journey into the past and the present and say hello to both Gary Nolan (68T Rookie) and Gary Sanchez (He will be in 2017 Heritage)
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

To tell you the truth...I can't remember. It is as if I always loved cards.

Seeing all these posts reminds me of how i started. When i was about 8 yrs old my uncle who had been collecting long before i was born gave me 2 cards. One a 1958 Topps Mickey Mantle All Star, and a Stan Musial 58 All-Star. From that moment on i absolutely loved baseball cards! My dad also liked helping me with my collection and took me to a show and bought me a Rod Carew RC a Johnny Bench RC and a few others i no longer have cause i was a moron and traded my good cards for crap and a 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson that i still have. I made sets of all card makers in the 80's up to 1984. I stopped before Bonds. I also put together a hand collated set of 1993 Sp and have sold numerous cards since. What really got me hooked in this hobby was in 2008 I bought a total of 3 boxes of Sp Legendary Cuts and in the last pack of the 3rd box i pulled a card i will most likely never sell... A 1/3 dual cut auto of Lou Gehrig and Cal Ripken..

I remember getting my first cards at my 7th birthday party. It was one of those boxes they used to sell that had a bunch of cards with mixed years and brands. The card I vividly remember is a 1987 Topps John Kruk. The design absolutely fascinated me. The border looked like real wood, and I decided I wanted more... The designs, the logos, and the uniforms really drew me in. I loved the looks of the late 80s and early 90s cards. I remember looking my cards up in Beckett hoping to have one worth money, and when I found the first one worth 1.00, I burst into my parents' room to show them my fortune! A 1990 Donruss Eric Anthony RC!!! Less than thrilled that I woke them up at 7 am, my mom told me it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay.

I've always collected a little bit of everything, because I have a love for all cards, but after the obligatory high school break from collecting, I got back into the hobby full force in the early 2000s when I picked up a Beckett at K Mart to see what the value of the cards I had. 25 bucks for my Griffey RC?? Let's see what else I have! Started going through my old cards, and caught the bug again. Now I could afford to buy hobby boxes from the cards shop. And I also picked up on my Barry Larkin collection that I started all those years ago. I printed out a checklist, organized the 30 cards of him I had, and set out on the daunting task of trying to check off as many cards on that list that I could afford. Over 1600 unique Larkin cards later, I don't plan on stopping. Hopefully my son, 4, and my daughter, 1, will take up the hobby with me, but if not, they are going to have a heck of a collection to deal with when I decide to pass them on.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

Or for next year's heritage: Nolan Ryan or Nolan Reimold Smile

Awesome thread idea!!!

I was 6 when I first got some '85 cards at Christmas. When I turned 8, I had a Wednesday paper route and banked about $7 a week and that turned into my baseball card fund. I managed to scrounge up $60 when I was 10 and bought my first big card, a '62 Maris. I still have that one in the original screw down case it came in from the antique show in the mall in 1989. I think at the same show I bought a 1985 Donruss box bottom that has Ryne Sandberg on it. I had a few complete factory sets for those years up to around '93 when school got in the way, and money was going to other things then. I Joined the Navy right after high school (took my cards with me) and got back into it in the late 90's for a few years. On and off a lot due to deployments and just not having time to collect until the last couple of years again. Trying to stay away from wax, and stick to buying or trading only for what I want in my PC. Well, at least that would be true if I wasn't addicted to opening up wax... heh..
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

40 years ago I could afford to buy lots of packs and they're weren't 30 subsets to chase from a single company. Do young kids get into this now? None that I know, and I've given away thousands of cards in an effort to get them interested. It's too expensive and too complicated for many children, from my experience. Kids are rarely if ever on this site. It must be because they're outside playing all the time and don't use the internet.

I used to trade base cards to other kids because that's essentially all there was. Now, they pile up because most people don't want them.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.