`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainbows?

Rainbows?
I know panini has prizm to work on rainbows, and I was wondering what other sets or brand types offer rainbow type challenges to chase?

RE: Rainbows?
Topps Chrome is fun for the most part, although 2015 was the last year for Topps. Topps also had Finest which I enjoyed trying to build rainbows for. Spectra can be fun, although 2016 is kinda ugly... and it's expensive and most of it is lower numbered. I'd say most products have variations and you can get a rainbow, but some are less interesting than others. National Treasures you can get rainbows for, but it's only about 5 different versions and if it's a good player the lower numbered stuff is hard to find. Do you like the Prizm feel? ie, metallic looking with different colors and designs? If so, I think Chrome can be a good alternative for you. There is also going to be a Donruss Optic, which is going to be a chromed version of this year's Donruss that will probably have rainbows in them as well.

I used to like Xtra Points from Prestige, but the quality of the stock and foil has gone down hill. Leaf Certified Materials (mem and non-mem) as well as Rookies and Stars parallels are a couple of other early-mid 2000s I've enjoyed chasing.

I think I may just keep sticking with the Prizm i love the look of them. I will just try to keep my Steelers prizms slowing building.

Would you ever just try and complete a rainbow of a player or team just to say you finally completed one or is that almost like unheard of?!?

(09-20-2016, 11:51 PM)pringle10 Wrote: Would you ever just try and complete a rainbow of a player or team just to say you finally completed one or is that almost like unheard of?!?
I've done it, yes. I have a Jordy Nelson 2014 Topps Triple Threads base rainbow including the 1/1 and 2 plates, and I didn't bust any 14 Triple Threads, and I don't have any other cards from that set. I only started it because I found the 1/1 and decided that it was worth trying to get the rainbow, and it was the first completed rainbow I've done.

But I am saying even if it was a player or team you didn't collect for PC?
(09-21-2016, 10:24 AM)bojesphob Wrote: I've done it, yes. I have a Jordy Nelson 2014 Topps Triple Threads base rainbow including the 1/1 and 2 plates, and I didn't bust any 14 Triple Threads, and I don't have any other cards from that set. I only started it because I found the 1/1 and decided that it was worth trying to get the rainbow, and it was the first completed rainbow I've done.

Maybe, depending on who it is, or what product. For instance, I no longer specifically PC Greg Jennings (since he's not on the Packers anymore), but as I was breaking 2014 Prizm, I kept getting nice cards from his rainbow, so I went full bore and have been trying to complete that one.

If you find a player that you can get some good cards for that you like and it helps you build a rainbow, I would say go for it. I thought about trying to do the Barry Sanders 2015 Prizm rainbow, as I love Prizm of course and I got to see him play against the Pack several times back in the 90's and always really liked him. Saw some of the prices on the cards and decided not to, but definitely considered it!

I ended up finding a Dustin Keller 1/1 Finite Prizm (wearing a 'Phins uni) at my LCS... decided to put together that rainbow. He's not a PC guy, but I had some interest since he's a former Boiler. I guess if you can knock out the harder stuff first it's worth the chase.

I wish I had an LCS in our town. I started working on Malcom Floyd because I was able to knock out just about all his numbered cards quickly. Just missing his Tie Dye and black finite. But it's worth the chase.