`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Maildays and new blog

2016 Maildays and new blog
Been slow on adding PC items this offseason but did snag a couple from auctions and garage sales.

Only need the BCA Pink /10 and the Superfractor to complete the rainbow. I've got an extra STS Camo /10 I'm hoping to trade for it.

Glad I finally picked up an Alshon auto that before he developed his "professional" signature.

The metal card is, ehh, okay I guess. It's on nice thick gauge steel but it's printed on a clear label then applied to it and nothing on the back. Also hard to pass up a Leather and Laces Combo for such a cheap price. It also helps confirm some suspicions I had about the printing of the set.

Finally, I've been doing a lot of custom design work lately and wanted to start documenting it so I launched a blog. I figure my goal is to update it twice a month and anything extra is gravy. I'd like it to become a resource for new and experience card makers to get ideas, critique designs, and learn about some tools out there that can help in the design/creation process (both digital and physical).

RE: 2016 Maildays and new blog
What are your suspicions about the Leather and Laces set? I used to pull those cards like crazy out of 2000 Absolute!

Bookmarked your blog, looks like there are a lot of actual DIY tips, which is exactly what I need!
[Image: sp9m5j.jpg]

(08-16-2016, 08:07 AM)c squared Wrote: What are your suspicions about the Leather and Laces set? I used to pull those cards like crazy out of 2000 Absolute!
Beckett used to only list 125 cards in their database but over the years I discovered that there were 130 in the set. I emailed examples of them and got them added in. Jake Plummer and Ron Dayne were previously listed as promo cards for some reason but I didn't believe that because:

1. Seems like an odd promo to hand out
2. On Playoff's defunct website you can see the Arizona Cardinals checklist still (thanks Internet Wayback Machine!) and Plummer is listed as one of them

But Plummer and Dayne had silver foil effects whereas the rest of the set were gold. After I completed the set after years of pursuing it I found that Peter Warrick and Mushin Muhammad also had silver trim.

In the Combos version which includes the football and laces, the trim effects are silver. When I added the Ron Dayne combo version, his foil is gold. So what I think happened is those four cards were errors in that they were supposed to have gold foil for the regular version and silver foil for the combo version. With Dayne's combo version reversed, that confirms a long held suspicion I had about them being printing errors.

(08-16-2016, 08:07 AM)c squared Wrote: Bookmarked your blog, looks like there are a lot of actual DIY tips, which is exactly what I need!
Thanks! I hope that it be a worth while resource for people. I've got some more DIY ideas to write up about plus a couple more product reviews.

Nice adds!