`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Edgerrin James Artist's Proof or What?

Edgerrin James Artist's Proof or What?
I wouldn't say that I am new to collector trading cards, but I am certainly less experienced than many on here. I don't know what this Edgerrin James card is. It is marked "EJ" where the traded version of the card is marked #162 and it is also marked "Preview" below the write-up. Is this an Artist's Proof or what do I have?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Edgerrin James Artist's Proof or What?
To my knowledge, "Preview" cards are just that... previews of the set. Usually released before the product, from what I gather they're given away as promo items, included in team sets, etc. Don't know the specifics of this card (how it was released), but Beckett's "official" description of the 1999 Triumph previews set:

"Released early in the year, this set previews the card stock and design of the 1999 Collector's Edge Triumph set. The card numbers feature the player's initials and the word "preview" is printed on the cardbacks."

Not as cool/rare as an Artist's Proof, but it's still a rookie year card of a great player Smile

Preview/Prototype/Promo cards are all essentially the same thing. During the 90s and early 2000s, it was fairly common for card manufacturers to make these types of cards to promote new sets coming out later in the year. The cards were typically distributed directly to dealers or handed out at shows, and sometimes in earlier products from the same company, to get people interested. Now most card companies just use their web presence (social media, blogs, websites, etc) to show off upcoming products.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(08-10-2016, 03:41 PM)djohn Wrote: Preview/Prototype/Promo cards are all essentially the same thing. During the 90s and early 2000s, it was fairly common for card manufacturers to make these types of cards to promote new sets coming out later in the year. The cards were typically distributed directly to dealers or handed out at shows, and sometimes in earlier products from the same company, to get people interested. Now most card companies just use their web presence (social media, blogs, websites, etc) to show off upcoming products.
Thanks for the reply djohn. Are these cards worth more than the standard version of the same card? The preview card is not shown in the Beckett price list. How would I go about placing a value on this card?

The problem with the entire Collector's Edge brand is that their inventory was liquidated after the company shut down. Cards that may have been rare at one time are now fairly easy to find and sell for a lot less than they did 15 years ago.
[Image: sp9m5j.jpg]

Check Beckett's OPG, it's in there. As to the value- like most cards it's worth what someone is willing to give up for it.. probably wouldn't bring enough to hit a McDs' Value Menu, though.

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202016-08-10%20at%207.00.1...dzusme.png]

It is listed with a $6 bv.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

Not really supposed to post prices (hence the cropping of my images)... but, there's that