`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Are post race celebrations getting out of hand?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No. Let them destroy those cars beyond recognition if they want
0%
0 0%
Maybe a little...
33.33%
1 33.33%
Yes, destroying cars post-race is ridiculous
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Post Race Celebration rules change?

Post Race Celebration rules change?
Are post race celebrations getting out of hand?

I would like to go on record as saying that while I appreciate the excitement and want to celebrate following a victory, I was really turned off by what Hamlin did to his car after his win at The Glen, so it is funny that this article comes up two days later.

I used words like "ridiculous" and "stupid" to describe that scene, where the rear tires were shredded to the point of being nothing but destructive whips of steel and rubber.

Look, I get it, and I can see getting carried away if it's your first victory, or even after Daytona, maybe, but there is a lot to say about acting like you've been there before, which is almost always the case...which gets abck to destroying your car so that it is beyond recognition so that there is no way it can fail inspection becasue it can't be inspected...shady...
NASCAR executive hints at rule change to address victory celebrations
By Dustin Long Aug 9, 2016, 9:22 AM EDT

Citing a "trend we don't like to see," a NASCAR executive hinted Tuesday of a rule change that would soon curb post-race victory celebrations.

Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer, made the comments on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio two days after Denny Hamlin's victory celebration at Watkins Glen forced him to walk to victory lane.

"It's a trend we don't like to see," O'Donnell said of winning card damaged in vistory celebrations. "We want to see a celebration, and we think that drivers can celebrate without doing that. So, you'll probably see us sooner than later put something in place that covers us forthat as you kind of head into the last quarter of the season.

"Again not there yet. We're talking to a lot of the teams about it, but I think everybody is on board with the direction we want to go in."

Section 8.5.2.1.c in the Sprint Cup Rule Book states that "the first-place vehicle may engage in appropriate celebratory activity (such as a victory lap, burn-out(s) or donuts) prior to reporting to victory circle."

Any damage during a victory celebration, though, could impact NASCAR's ability to properly inspect the winning car afterward and ensure that everything was legal with the vehicle.

With the Chase beginning next month for each of NASCAR's three national series, it appears series officials want to have something stronger in place before the playoffs begin.

Questions have been raised before about excessive celebrations that damage the winning car and how that could impact NASCAR's post-race inspection process. In March 2015, a NASCAR official told NBC Sports that if series officials believed that such damage from a celebration affected inspection after the race that they would address the matter.

Competitors raised issues about excessive celebrations during last year's Chase after Kevin Harvick won at Dover and banged his car against an inside wall and also blew out tires amid his celebration. His car passed inspection after the race.

"The winner is the only one that's able to damage his car after the race without it being too obvious," Hamlin said last October.

Said Brad Keselowski last October: "I've definitely blown tires out. I think every driver has done something to do some kind of damage to their car."

Hamlin, on the topic of purposely blowing tires, said last October: "Nothing we do is without merit. We all know what we're doing. It's a tough balance because NASCAR wants you to celebrate, but as drivers we know when a tire is about to blow and sometimes we continue to put the throttle to it."

Hamlin's celebration Sunday came after he scored his first Cup victory on a road course, giving him a victory on all the different types of track in the series. It also came after he lost at Sonoma in June on the last corner of the last lap to Tony Stewart at that road course.
Looking for:
2012 Total Memorabilia Tony Stewart Melting
TripleĀ 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

05 Studio Portraits Bob Feller (45/56, 80% complete)

I collect Tony Stewart, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman, Victor Martinez.

www.dunnere.weebly.com

RE: Post Race Celebration rules change?
I agree that Hamlin's celebration was excessive. Especially since he didn't accomplish some monstrous feat. It wasn't the D500, CC600, Indy, or a championship! All he did was win at a road course for the first time. Is he going to do that every time he wins at a track he hasn't won at before? If he'd stopped when he blew the tires, that's fine. But to shred them so bad that the car can't be driven anymore is ridiculous and excessive.