`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARod

ARod
I loved him. He bubbled over with talent. He came up with Nomar and Jeter and the three of them were the shortstops of the future. Nomar eventually broke down. Jeter is on his way to the Hall. I invested in lots and lots of ARod's cards. More than 2000 different, more than any other player in my collection other than Griffey Jr.

ARod?
I hate him. He yelled while running the bases tricking the Blue Jays into dropping an easy pop up. He slapped the ball from Bronson Arroyo's glove on his way to first and then pulled a "who me?" He lied. He cheated. He climbed the record books. He got busted. He lied again. And again. All of my ARod cards plummeted in value.

He's done. Friday. Four homers short of joining the exclusive 700 home run club. He's got one week left and you can bet he's going to go for it but this sad chapter of baseball history is coming to a close.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: ARod

I hate him. He yelled while running the bases tricking the Blue Jays into dropping an easy pop up. He slapped the ball from Bronson Arroyo's glove on his way to first and then pulled a "who me?" He lied. He cheated. He climbed the record books. He got busted. He lied again. And again. All of my ARod cards plummeted in value.
[/quote]
I agree about 90%! I loved Griffey, Rodriguez and Buhner back in the 90's. Homer's, hustle, smiles while playing...cool stuff to watch. Then greed and arrogance became priorities for A-Rod so he became a Ranger then a Yankee, and then he turned into a loser person who thought he was above rules and decency. I have not collected him since leaving the Mariners so not as much to complain about.

Yeah, I get ya. Tough pill.
Granted, he played during the steroid era and lots of guys were on the juice, hell, a bunch still are in some way.
But, the way he carried himself on and off the field is where I lost respect for him. Sadly too because I try not to be a judge because I suck.
Like the incidents you pointed out as well as several more I just find it hard to stand behind him and cheer him on.

Too bad some of what Jeter had didn't rub off on Arod. I respect Jeter, even if I am a Red Sox fan. Dude played the game with heart and represented his team through and through.

I usually am excited about seeing players near milestones. But I have no positive emotions for him to hit that milestone. It is what it is and I will leave it up to the guys at the HOF to decide if he should be forgiven. I just don't plan to visit his plaque if it does go up.

I'm glad to see him go. I never really cared for him even when he came up with Seattle. When he got to the Yankees, I disliked him even more. Most of the Yankees have more class than he'll ever have.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I think it was more of a forced retirement. My bet is the Yankees let him play all week with free reign to swing for the fences, regardless of score or base runners. He still has a shot at 700 HRs, but it won't be a given as most people figured it would be this year.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I'm glad he will be gone. He is a sore spot on the Yankees History. He's a liar, a cheater, a basic dirt bag. I for one am glad that he never made it to 700 and am glad that he will never make it into the Hall of Fame from using steroids!
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

I already didn't like him from his Texas days but the Arroyo play put him over the top in the dbag category. I kind of hope he gets 699 and they don't give him another AB.

(08-07-2016, 03:12 PM)1netdog1 Wrote: Too bad some of what Jeter had didn't rub off on Arod.
I've forgotten. Was is Jeter that gave gift bags to the women he slept with? Classy.
(08-08-2016, 07:39 AM)djohn Wrote: .
...it won't be a given as most people figured it would be this year...
...now that he's off drugs.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Let's hope no team signs him 2018 so he can get to the 700 club.

Theo Epstein gave a minor league contract to Manny so I hope it doesn't happen. Thankfully Manny didn't make it back to the bigs.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

ARod was a product of the time he played. Home runs were King and the commissioner condoned it, knowing full well that guys like Canseco, Sosa, McGuire, Bonds, ARod were juicing. He paraded them around knowing that the focus on the game was never better. People were interested in baseball again. But when he changed his mind about it, everyone that was juicing either left the game or stopped juicing. The ones that left were a little smarter, because the ones that didn't ... Well, they started to suck or got injured. Guys like Arod were making stupid money and loved the lifestyle which they became accustomed. Hard to walk away from millions. So I don't totally blame the guy. Given the circumstances and the time frame when he played, I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same. But being an untalented -baseball fan- spectator/baseball card -collector it's very easy to sit here in my man-cave and criticize.

My biggest complaint about ARod was what went on within the Yankees organization. When they had the chance to let him walk away and go Free Agent, they resigned the guy.... And after there were no offers for him, they resigned him for even more money!?!? Huh? That was the worst!! But they were taken in by the lure of the home run and thought that he would generate the same money and interest that Sosa and Mac and Bonds attracted when breaking records. An older, (partially impaired?) George Steinbrenner figured (or was advised?) that record breaking numbers = more TV coverage and that = more fannies in the seats which = more money !

Oh well. Glad to see him go graciously into the sunset and not continue preventing a rookie from coming up through the ranks.
Glad there will be young blood coming to help an anemic offense. The Bronx Bombers haven't lived up to their moniker in a few years. Maybe the new baby-bombers will bring some boom back to the Bronx.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.