`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes I feel pretty dumb buyng boxes ... (2010 Topps Chrome)

Sometimes I feel pretty dumb buyng boxes ... (2010 Topps Chrome)
Sometimes I feel pretty dumb buying boxes ... Sure, 2010 Topps Chrome was on sale ($40/box) and I wanted a Stanton RC auto ... Which is about $50-60 on eBay ...
But no, I had to buy 4 boxes and give myself a chance at opening one .... And no, I'm not building this up for a surprise reveal at the end ...
I didn't do that bad, but I still don't have what I want.
The upside ... I got a Josh Donaldson RC Auto and a Gold Strasburg RC /50, 3 base Strasburg RCs, 3 base Stanton RCs and a ton of stuff I don't want or need.
I managed to only pull one expired redemption card (Base auto Matusz) and I got a lucky case hit USA Auto of Kyle Winkler. (Who?)
I'd have been better over paying on eBay, but at least the breaking was more fun while it lasted and there was hope of a Stanton.

Here's the good stuff ... All FT
[Image: 0DA2F64D-328A-4474-AE5D-4BCE9EA6FA95_zps7t1i1yb3.jpg]

And the better stuff that will be PC for now ... (Or I'll trade for a Stanton Auto)
[Image: 3FF66F36-FBA5-49B2-924A-78D522351B31_zpsecfx7nhk.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Sometimes I feel pretty dumb buyng boxes ... (2010 Topps Chrome)
Well the good news is the Strasburg will sell just fine. The Donaldson should get a little bit. But yeah you could have just bought a Stanton auto on eBay for close to one box. But where's the fun in that?

I feel the same way too about buying cases or boxes. After everything is opened I wish I would have just bought the card or cards I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I love breaking boxes but I now hate the clutter. Nice 2 hits on Donaldson and Strasburg. If you ever want to trade that Donaldson please hit me up. Would go nice as a start for a catcher auto pc I may have to start.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

Love the Gold Stras! Imagine pulling that guy in 2010!
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

(07-26-2016, 07:03 PM)magneto2 Wrote: Well the good news is the Strasburg will sell just fine. The Donaldson should get a little bit. But yeah you could have just bought a Stanton auto on eBay for close to one box. But where's the fun in that?
Exactly my point. I was fortunate enough to get some of the base rookie non-auto cards though: Stanton, Donaldson, Santana, Arrieta, etc. So I really didn't get killed, but I sure didn't 'kill it' either. Smile I DID have fun!
(07-26-2016, 07:07 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: I feel the same way too about buying cases or boxes. After everything is opened I wish I would have just bought the card or cards I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I love breaking boxes but I now hate the clutter. Nice 2 hits on Donaldson and Strasburg. If you ever want to trade that Donaldson please hit me up. Would go nice as a start for a catcher auto pc I may have to start.
I can't stand the piles of loose cards I have. I don't have the time or patience to collate them and I don't have the desire to set collect them .... If anyone is trying to put a 2010 Topps Chrome set together, LMK.
(07-26-2016, 08:12 PM)demondukk Wrote: Love the Gold Stras! Imagine pulling that guy in 2010!
Right!? His cards were hotter than hot in 2010! I could have probably traded for a 1968 / 1969 Mantle at the time.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Look at it this way, Doc ... $40 is basically two blasters, would you think twice about buying eight blasters of something?

Nope. You had to go for the Hail Mary on this one, and you got some nice returns.

Or look at it this way ... would the stuff you pulled have been a great haul if it were out of eight blasters?

(07-27-2016, 06:38 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I can't stand the piles of loose cards I have. I don't have the time or patience to collate them and I don't have the desire to set collect them .... If anyone is trying to put a 2010 Topps Chrome set together, LMK.
I'd be interested in some base Braves and any Braves refractors, if you happened to pull any.

(07-27-2016, 10:17 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Look at it this way, Doc ... $40 is basically two blasters, would you think twice about buying eight blasters of something?

Nope. You had to go for the Hail Mary on this one, and you got some nice returns.

Or look at it this way ... would the stuff you pulled have been a great haul if it were out of eight blasters?
Great point! Yeah, like I said, wasn't too disappointed, but would have been better off ($$$$) just getting a Stanton from eBay. But not upset pulling a Donaldson auto RC and a Gold Strasburg. I just recently picked up 5 or 6 Stadium club blasters and got zip. So, yeah, I did good in light of blasters. Thanks for making me feel less dumb, RJ! Smile
(07-27-2016, 11:29 AM)Bruce3D Wrote: I'd be interested in some base Braves and any Braves refractors, if you happened to pull any.
I'll go through the stack and PM you.

hey i have a 69 mantle its been through alot but its still nice and no it not the white letter one