`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: I buy sports cards mostly because...?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I like that they can sometimes be resold for more money down the road
22.45%
11 22.45%
I like collecting card for my favorite players, teams or completing sets
77.55%
38 77.55%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collecting vs. Investing

RE: Collecting vs. Investing
(05-09-2016, 10:35 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Uh oh...Keep those Nolan's safe my friend Smile!
Luckily Nolan is safe for Nolan was her favorite baseball player too.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

It's an investment after all if you think about it. Collecting is a passion, but when needed you will always be able to get profit out of it. I still look at it as an investment and I've read a lot of Warren Buffett books to know how exactly to manage my collection and watch cards to own in order to profit in the near or distant future. I really admire him as an investor and I think there is a lot to learn from his experiences and ways of dealing with his acquisitions. That being said I'm holding some cards that I think will have 10 times the value that they have today.

Seelee Wrote:It's an investment afterall if you think about it. Collecting is a passion, but when needed you will always be able to get profit out of it.
Profit?  If you are lucky, maybe.  Think about all the stuff purchased, supplies added, etc over the life of a hobby.  I would venture to say very few even have a collection value equal to the cost, let alone be able to sell for market price other than a few choice cards.

Seelee Wrote:It's an investment afterall if you think about it. Collecting is a passion, but when needed you will always be able to get profit out of it.

Eh, I'd say it depends on how/what you collect.  If all you're collecting are certain types of cards (vintage Jackie Robinson for example) then yeah, they'll go up over time and you'll get a return.  If you load up on and open packs, boxes, cases all the time then the odds that you'll make a profit in the end are going to be pretty slim in my opinion and if people are hoping for a return in that method, I'd call it more gambling than investing.

I agree with the above comments. To many at this point in time, a pack of baseball cards is a lottery ticket.

Me personally, my goal each year is to get all of the key rookie cards and as many of the "1st Bowman" cards I can get. I get small to medium hits fairly regularly, but Ive only gotten a big hit maybe 2-3 times, and Ive never gotten a 1 of 1.

Lots of times, the hits I get end up being good trade bait for a needed rookie card.

When I began collecting cards were only 25 cents a pack and only Topps, Philadelphia and occasionally, Fleer, were the only companies available in my little coal-mining community of 10,000. Think back in the day I tried to collect Roberto Clemente, Mickey Mantle, Pete Rose, Willie Mays to those rare commons like Choo Choo Coleman, team rookie cards, and checklists.
I had 'em all, good grief, probably 4 or 5 complete sets from '63 to '66. Luckily I saved them and to see what they're worth now as compared to what they cost it was better than I could've dreamed at that time.
So it was fun to complete those sets. Never thought at the time of collecting for re-sale, but now they're considered works of art once they get graded.
I'm going to cash in one of these days but not just yet.
Not sure what these advertisers in Beckett magazine would be best to sell to or would it be better to use one of those auction houses.

(03-25-2021, 06:29 AM)RattPoison2 Wrote: I'm going to cash in one of these days but not just yet.
Not sure what these advertisers in Beckett magazine would be best to sell to or would it be better to use one of those auction houses.
Nice!  Hope your collection's are in good shape and you can get some serious money when you decide cash in.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.