`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I miss the 90s

RE: I miss the 90s
(04-09-2016, 08:51 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I really got hooked on collecting when 1995 Ultra offered affordable inserts. They were unique, interesting and featured proven stars. Today's cards focus on unproven young players that may or may not pan out. So many negative comments on this thread about gaudy and cheap looking cards from the 90s, but I argue that modern Topps are quite boring in comparison, unless you like autos of young players. I focused on filling in my 90s subsets over the past 5 years and really enjoyed trading with collectors who respect that erase with players who stuck with a team...Puckett, Gwynn, Bagwell, Gonzalez and many others. The 90s rock for card collecting! I am bummed that I filled all my want list for that decade.
Those "negative" comments about gaudy cards are only coming from me and I was giving my opinion on the majority (not all) of 90's cards. To me, most are gaudy. Would you rather I nod my head and not have an opinion? As far as modern cards being boring, you lost me. Overdone, maybe. Boring, are you serious? There's only a few prospect products and you can pretty much fill any need you may have throughout the rest of the products. Modern and HOF player base cards, parallels, auto's and patches. Multi player auto's, relics and booklets. Products dedicated strictly to low numbered high end patch auto's and HOF cut sigs. Flagship products that produce color parallels like Update that turn out to be treasures later (see Mike Trout, Kris Bryant ) and haven't been destroyed by too many variations . You can now find virtually any auto, relic or even base card of any player in MLB's history on a yearly basis. Not sure how that's boring.

(04-09-2016, 09:34 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Those "negative" comments about gaudy cards are only coming from me and I was giving my opinion on the majority (not all) of 90's cards. To me, most are gaudy. Would you rather I nod my head and not have an opinion? As far as modern cards being boring, you lost me. Overdone, maybe. Boring, are you serious? There's only a few prospect products and you can pretty much fill any need you may have throughout the rest of the products. Modern and HOF player base cards, parallels, auto's and patches. Multi player auto's, relics and booklets. Products dedicated strictly to low numbered high end patch auto's and HOF cut sigs. Flagship products that produce color parallels like Update that turn out to be treasures later (see Mike Trout, Kris Bryant ) and haven't been destroyed by too many variations . You can now find virtually any auto, relic or even base card of any player in MLB's history on a yearly basis. Not sure how that's boring.
Yes. I am very serious! Today's cards take an average photo, slap a 1/10 number on it, and expect everyone to drool. Big deal. Same photo as 2 other products before, add a colored frame, and again expect collectors to clamor for it. No originality except a few inserts here and there. I was watching Box Busters for 2016 Opening Day and the hosts could not figure out what made the card labeled a certain way...that did not happen in the 90s.
I was referring to you earlier as you have strong opinions about every thread and every subject...not always opposite of me but close to it. That's what makes the collectors' world interesting!

(04-09-2016, 09:44 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Yes. I am very serious! Today's cards take an average photo, slap a 1/10 number on it, and expect everyone to drool. Big deal. Same photo as 2 other products before, add a colored frame, and again expect collectors to clamor for it. No originality except a few inserts here and there. I was watching Box Busters for 2016 Opening Day and the hosts could not figure out what made the card labeled a certain way...that did not happen in the 90s.
I was referring to you earlier as you have strong opinions about every thread and every subject...not always opposite of me but close to it. That's what makes the collectors' world interesting!
I certainly do have opinions and try to participate as much as possible. The boards tend to dry up from time to time. Being as they are forums for discussion I will add what I know and/or possibly what I feel. As for the box breaks of opening day, obviously your free to watch whatever you like but you'll never see anything new or original in that product. That is the lowest tier product in baseball. Does Topps re-use photos? Absolutely. Is it annoying? Uh-huh. Have they and everyone else been doing it since the 50's? Yup. It's always been that way. If your looking for an interesting box break try Panini's National Treasures or Triple Threads. Topps Finest. Strata. Virtually anything other than Opening Day.

[quote='Hofcollector' pid='2612266' dateline='1460258523']

I certainly do have opinions and try to participate as much as possible. The boards tend to dry up from time to time. Being as they are forums for discussion I will add what I know and/or possibly what I feel. As for the box breaks of opening day, obviously your free to watch whatever you like but you'll never see anything new or original in that product. That is the lowest tier product in baseball. Does Topps re-use photos? Absolutely. Is it annoying? Uh-huh. Have they and everyone else been doing it since the 50's? Yup. It's always been that way. If your looking for an interesting box break try Panini's National Treasures or Triple Threads. Topps Finest. Strata. Virtually anything other than Opening Day.

I know, Opening Day is a bad example for quality or collector interest. What I liked most about the 90s products is they were affordable without being boring. Sure, there are all kinds of interesting products today if you want to spend hundreds in hope of getting at least one of your PC players. The 90s were about collecting sets and subsets with multiple choices. I have seen so many negative comments directed toward Topps since I started visiting the Message Boards late last year; most of the frustration has been about high-end products with very little hope of completing a set unless you cash in your 401K. I was able to afford handfuls of cards of hall of fame players and complete insert sets even while a student in college. Now the hobby has become 'finding that great pull'.

The casual collector will someday fade away with only positive memories of the 90s to hang on to, while supercollectors as yourself will continue to trade prospect auto for prospect auto and swatch for swatch and hope that offspring or close relatives know how to treat your collection properly when you're no longer there to protect it. It's only money, right? No, wait, it is a hobby to enjoy for a lifetime! Even Opening Day collectors...

(04-09-2016, 11:11 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: [quote='Hofcollector' pid='2612266' dateline='1460258523']

I know, Opening Day is a bad example for quality or collector interest. What I liked most about the 90s products is they were affordable without being boring. Sure, there are all kinds of interesting products today if you want to spend hundreds in hope of getting at least one of your PC players. The 90s were about collecting sets and subsets with multiple choices. I have seen so many negative comments directed toward Topps since I started visiting the Message Boards late last year; most of the frustration has been about high-end products with very little hope of completing a set unless you cash in your 401K. I was able to afford handfuls of cards of hall of fame players and complete insert sets even while a student in college. Now the hobby has become 'finding that great pull'.

The casual collector will someday fade away with only positive memories of the 90s to hang on to, while supercollectors as yourself will continue to trade prospect auto for prospect auto and swatch for swatch and hope that offspring or close relatives know how to treat your collection properly when you're no longer there to protect it. It's only money, right? No, wait, it is a hobby to enjoy for a lifetime! Even Opening Day collectors...
I guess I remain interested and appreciate the new releases because I'm not a player collector, team collector or set builder. I can find beauty in the cards because I'm not limited to any of those, which is no slight on anyone who is. I actively seek about 10-15 players at any given time so it never gets dull (and that list is known to change periodically). It's also a great way of protecting the value of my collection. If 1 or 2 players slump then I can rely on the others to carry the load. What keeps it fresh and interesting is factoring in the money believe it or not. I try to stay ahead of the curve and constantly try to make moves to better my collection and increase the value. It never gets old and my inventory constantly moves. I know it's not for everyone but it's a great feeling when you've played your cards correctly. I don't do the prospecting thing. I only invest in proven MLB superstars. Sure I buy some bowman products for trade bait but the idea of sinking tens of thousands into players in the minors is mind numbing. When you land a true rarity of one of the guys your looking for it's awesome. There's nothing like it and that feeling will always remain new chasing the rarer stuff (still not talking about prospects). But, to each his own and I was only giving my opinion on some 90's cards. It doesn't bother me in the least what others may find appealing. Whatever makes them happy.

(04-09-2016, 11:45 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I guess I remain interested and appreciate the new releases because I'm not a player collector, team collector or set builder. I can find beauty in the cards because I'm not limited to any of those, which is no slight on anyone who is. I actively seek about 10-15 players at any given time so it never gets dull (and that list is known to change periodically). It's also a great way of protecting the value of my collection. If 1 or 2 players slump then I can rely on the others to carry the load. What keeps it fresh and interesting is factoring in the money believe it or not. I try to stay ahead of the curve and constantly try to make moves to better my collection and increase the value. It never gets old and my inventory constantly moves. I know it's not for everyone but it's a great feeling when you've played your cards correctly. I don't do the prospecting thing. I only invest in proven MLB superstars. Sure I buy some bowman products for trade bait but the idea of sinking tens of thousands into players in the minors is mind numbing. When you land a true rarity of one of the guys your looking for it's awesome. There's nothing like it and that feeling will always remain new chasing the rarer stuff (still not talking about prospects). But, to each his own and I was only giving my opinion on some 90's cards. It doesn't bother me in the least what others may find appealing. Whatever makes them happy.
Good way to look at it. Best of luck to your endeavors.

(04-10-2016, 07:33 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Good way to look at it. Best of luck to your endeavors.
Thank you kindly. And to you as well.