`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just "Caught" This 22 Year Old Piece of Goaltending History

Just "Caught" This 22 Year Old Piece of Goaltending History
Here is the video link for our Youtube channel's covering of this piece!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VrEnENX...e=youtu.be

Today's newest addition is of a goalie that has drawn many parallels to Andre "Red Light" Racicot. Whether or not that's a good thing isn't the point. While this piece was not a Racicot piece, this was used by a very similar goaltender named Jim Hrivnak. Born on May 28, 1968 in Montreal, Quebec, Hrivnak was drafted 61st overall by the Washington Capitals in 1986 following a decent year of hockey with Merrimack College of the NCAA 2. He played four years with Merrimack College before joining the Baltimore Skipjacks of the AHL in 1988-89 for 10 games. He took over the starting role for the Skipjacks in 1989-90 before he finally got his shot at "the show". He made his NHL debut on December 6, 1989 against the Pittsburgh Penguins and stopped the lone shot that he faced. He appeared in 11 games with the Capitals that year. The following season, he was once again largely in the AHL, but did get into nine more games with the Caps. In 1991-92, he appeared in 12 further games before appearing in a career high 27 games with Washington in 1992-93 and recording a career high 13 wins. That season, Hrivnak was traded to the Jets in exchange for Rick Tabaracci. There, he only appeared in three games before being traded to the St. Louis Blues in the 1993 off-season.

In St. Louis, Hrivnak backed up Curtis Joseph full-time and he appeared in 23 games even going so far as to be recognized for having one of the saves of the year in 1993-94. Following the conclusion of the season, Hrivnak was demoted to the minors and stuck around in North America until the end of the 1995-96 when he decided to play in Europe, where he did for five seasons before retiring in 2000-01 and eventually making a nine game comeback in the QSMHL (the same year that Racicot also played in that league).

In his career, Hrivnak appeared in 85 games, recording a 34-30-3 record with a 3.73GAA, a 0.877% save average, and five assists. He appeared in no playoff games.

The piece you are looking at right now is a Vaughn T-1950 glove worn by Jim Hrivnak in the 1993-94 season while a member of the St. Louis Blues. Wear is noticeable on the glove and his name is custom stitched into it. While not photomatched yet at the time of this video, it is highly likely he wore this glove for the entirety of the season including the final NHL game of his career.

Acquired from: Collector on eBay

Dates of Game Use: 1993-94 season

Photomatched: Not yet, referenced only

[Image: hrivnak1_zpsrynjyegf.jpg]

[Image: hrivnak2_zpsjsmqsbxc.jpg]

[Image: hrivnak3_zpslkr6colg.jpg]

[Image: hrivnak4_zpsb8yygjon.jpg]

[Image: hrivnak5_zps98edbdbv.jpg]

RE: Just "Caught" This 22 Year Old Piece of Goaltending History
You're right: He probably wasn't given too many gloves that season - likely just this one. Nice find, as always!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Super cool.
[Image: Blues%20Banner%202015_zpso4q52tdf.png]
Blues PC: 5600+ cards - Blues RCs: 781/933 - 83.7%

(04-04-2016, 09:27 AM)pretzel mask Wrote: Super cool.
Well, here's a username I have not seen in a long, long time Smile

You'll like my next pick-up, a 2015-16 NHL Debut Blues piece...

(04-04-2016, 04:33 PM)irbefan4life Wrote: Well, here's a username I have not seen in a long, long time Smile

You'll like my next pick-up, a 2015-16 NHL Debut Blues piece...
Looking forward to seeing it. I'd have to check my ticket stubs to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I was at that game.
[Image: Blues%20Banner%202015_zpso4q52tdf.png]
Blues PC: 5600+ cards - Blues RCs: 781/933 - 83.7%