`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying Retail from other than "THE 3"

Buying Retail from other than "THE 3"
I was wondering what experiences if people have with buying retail from places other than Target, Walmart, or Toys R Us. I know those 3 have the different variations/inserts specific to their stores. Was wondering if people have had luck at other stores, like military base/post exchanges/stores? Not trying to be specific to the military stores, but any other store too. I don't buy from my base exchange very often since every time I walk by the cards it looks like a tornado has blown through.

Any one feel they have better odds at their "other" store compared to the main 3 stores?
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

RE: Buying Retail from other than "THE 3"
I do fine at Wally World but I stick with unopened boxes only. I will tell you a funny story about how I bought an "already opened" box in 2010 which I later discovered was opened/resealed BUT I was looking for those Topps buybacks and the card I get from the wheel out of that box was,. the Strasburg card which guaranteed free shipping and more. Only time a resealed box may ever had worked out
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

I have also bought occasionally at KMart, but their selection is usually old, but that can work in my favor as they had some 2009-10 Upper Deck basketball blasters for $11.95 each last time I went (I bought them all, although I wish I hadn't opened them all since they are going for almost $100 each on eBay now due to Stephen Curry RCs).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(03-29-2016, 07:49 AM)woogie23 Wrote: I was wondering what experiences if people have with buying retail from places other than Target, Walmart, or Toys R Us. I know those 3 have the different variations/inserts specific to their stores. Was wondering if people have had luck at other stores, like military base/post exchanges/stores? Not trying to be specific to the military stores, but any other store too. I don't buy from my base exchange very often since every time I walk by the cards it looks like a tornado has blown through.

Any one feel they have better odds at their "other" store compared to the main 3 stores?
Not sure if you ever heard of Shopko, but here in the upper Midwest I have had the best deals and luck with current mega packs and blasters.

(03-29-2016, 09:53 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Not sure if you ever heard of Shopko, but here in the upper Midwest I have had the best deals and luck with current mega packs and blasters.
I'm currently stationed in Omaha, don't think I've heard of Shopko. hmmm
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

I know Rite Aide (pharmacy) has cards as does some dollar stores and $5 below stores. Like Kmart...selection is usually older stuff or they are special 4-5 card packs where you aren't getting anything but base cards or repacks of 100 cards for $2.00. I'm not saying anything good or bad, just that there is probably a slim to none chance of hitting anything nice.

Rite Aide is weird in that if you ask them to stock newer cards, they will, but if nobody asks they don't. I know somebody who lives across country (Cali) who shops a lot at their Rite Aide and has hit some nice stuff in the past.

Seems like everyone carries the gaming cards though............
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(03-29-2016, 11:50 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: I know Rite Aide (pharmacy) has cards as does some dollar stores and $5 below stores. Like Kmart...selection is usually older stuff or they are special 4-5 card packs where you aren't getting anything but base cards or repacks of 100 cards for $2.00. I'm not saying anything good or bad, just that there is probably a slim to none chance of hitting anything nice.

Rite Aide is weird in that if you ask them to stock newer cards, they will, but if nobody asks they don't. I know somebody who lives across country (Cali) who shops a lot at their Rite Aide and has hit some nice stuff in the past.

Seems like everyone carries the gaming cards though............
I pulled a Bryce Harper All-Star variation from 2012 Topps Update at the Rite-Aid near my house, out of some packs that had been siting there for a few months. Needless to say, I was pretty excited.