`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Need help with a 1/1!!!!! Updated

Need help with a 1/1!!!!! Updated
Hi I recently pulled out of 2016 topps a 1991 Ryne Sandberg all-star #398 buy back. It's a double gold stamp operation desert shield 1/1. I have no idea on how to value this and consider sending it out for grading but has a full gum stain on the back. Any I ideas out there? Is it worth sending out with the gum stain? I will add pictures later

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Need help with a 1/1!!!!!
Having it graded won't add any value to it as I doubt it would grade very well with the gum stain. The only reason I would send it in for grading is if you want to protect it. But a nice magnetic one touch should do the same job for less. The good news is that it is still a 1/1 from a player quite a few people still collect. If you are looking to sell it, I would throw it up on Ebay and take offers. It looks like the last one that sold from this same set 1/1 sold for $29.95. You can see it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Topps-Buyba...7675.l2557

thank you for your advice. the research that i found is with the card being the desert shield SP, it is already selling on ebay for that. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Topps-Deser...SwezVWwCwS

I agree with BGS. I wouldn't bother sending in for grading with that gum stain on back. Also, believe it or not the 1/1 stamp may chase away people collecting that set IMO so it may not go for a ton despite the fact it's Sandberg. Some people are really picky about stuff like that. If you are gonna sell I would also throw it up on Ebay and take offers if it were mine. Maybe someone will really want it and blow you away with an offer. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

its a 1/1 so price change wont matter but to longtime protect the card grade it or store it on one of those magnetic or screw case holders.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

That card is sweet!

(03-19-2016, 04:12 PM)blackstang932005 Wrote: That card is sweet!
thank you

ok i thought that with this card starting as a rare SP and of being some value from the 91 set that the 1/1 now 25 years later would only help the value of it.

(03-19-2016, 05:31 PM)anonymous_1408732650 Wrote: ok i thought that with this card starting as a rare SP and of being some value from the 91 set that the 1/1 now 25 years later would only help the value of it.
It should definitely help, however it might not help as much as you might think. Here are the facts to consider:
1) It is a 1/1 BuyBack
2) It is a 1991 Desert Shield parallel
3) It is a Ryne Sandberg card
4) It is from the All-Star subset
5) There is a gum stain on the back of the card
Now considering each of these 5 facts, the card goes up in value for the first 3 and down due to the 4th and 5th. Now let's consider that 1987 Buyback 1/1 that sold for $30. The non-buyback card is a $1 card at best, which gives a 30x multiplier in terms of value increase for the 1/1. That might seem high, but consider that a 1983 Topps RC Buyback 1/1 of Sandberg just sold for $400, which is about 30x what a non-buyback 1/1 sells for. Here is a link to that card.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Topps-Ryne-...7675.l2557

Thus if I were purely going on that I would say it's 30x the value. However you must also consider that the card has a gum stain on the back, so taking that condition grade into account it's probably only worth around $100 at best. The fact that there are a lot of Sandberg collectors will help, so it could go for more if multiple people get into a bidding war (or less if that doesn't happen). If it was me, I would list it for $150 with best offer and see if anyone bites.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thank you all for the info

I would be interested in it if selling or trading.