`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A (potential) kick in the gut!

A (potential) kick in the gut!
As many of you know, I've been absent for a long time. Starting in 2010, my marriage started falling apart. In 2012, right around when I went absent, I started divorce proceedings. Well, my divorce was finalized in March of last year and I have been concentrating on life. I found faith in June of 2013, I have custody of my boys, am slowly working on becoming debt free, and I have been dating a wonderful woman whom I met at my church for the last nine months. As things have "slowed down" at home, I've decided to get back to my cards and this site that I missed so much.

When I came back, I cleared out my Organize and I started fresh. On Friday, I finished getting my Pistons cards into my Organize and I have been working on getting scans of all of my cards. It's taking some time, but as I scan them in I plan on making a Pistons Collection thread. Well today, I decided to go through my trade invoices and mark in my organize which cards came from whom. Yes, I do have O.C.D. Unfortunately, it may have turned out to be a kick in the gut reminder of my ex-wife.

My ex-wife was involved in my collecting from time to time, enjoying opening packs with me and often encouraging me to buy some cards. She never cared for the sorting or organizing of them; after they were put into penny sleeves she couldn't care less about them. That was until the divorce started.

At one point in time, because she was still living with me (I'm too much of a nice guy), she decided while I was at work to take some of my cards. Now, she didn't take all of them, just put some of them in a bucket and "hid" them. I eventually recovered my cards, but it appears that I did not recover all of them. She had told me she pawned some of my cards and lit some other ones on fire. I did not believe her because she's been known to tell a story or two. Well, I may have just gotten verification of her story.

I have only gotten through about eight invoices so far and there are already 31 Pistons cards missing and a potential six set cards missing (I haven't input my sets yet, so can't be sure). The total value of those 31 Pistons cards is only $54.90 and no one card worth more than $5.00, but it's not the point of the monetary value as much as it is the time I put into collecting and the memory of what may have happened to them.

Mind you, my room is a disaster. After the divorce I got the rest of the house cleaned and ended up throwing a lot of stuff in my room. There is a faint possibility that I have misplaced those cards. But I feel there's a better chance that what she says she did to them actually did happen. And with only having gone through eight invoices so more (245 more to go), there's a possibility that there are a lot more missing. These invoices are from my most recent trades (7 of which happened in 2012) and at times I would open them and they would sit on my card shelf. So I may not see many missing from later invoices.

Anyways, I wanted to explain if I hadn't before why I had stepped away. Even if I never find those cards, I know they don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things and I can replace them (none were numbered, autographed or had a jersey...so far). I was also curious, though it's a gloomy subject, if anyone had had anything similar happen to them and are willing to share.

I hope you all are having a wonderful day.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

RE: A (potential) kick in the gut!
Fortunately for me, yours is a unique story. I am glad you're pulling through this. Good luck with the rest of your journey.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

You've always got plenty of support here in this community from the long-time, loyal members who have known you through the years, Jason.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and hope that going forward everything falls into place.

Cards have definitely helped me during some tough times, and hope you will use this hobby we all love to help get you through some of life's stresses.

I'm happy that you're doing good with your faith.
I am "THE" Elgin Baylor collector. Collecting basketball cards since 1992. You may know me from other places as "SportsItUpCards" or "Gio"

Collecting:

Elgin Baylor

Steve Francis 1999-00 Rare cards #'d to 100 or less

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

Thanks for the support guys. Like I said, everything has slowed down (knock on wood) and I'm in a wonderful relationship which has really helped. Also, her having three boys and I having two, we have four boys who play basketball (all kids are between ages 5 and 8). Instead of me putting my love of basketball into my hobby, the last two years it has been going to coaching Upward teams at my church. I coached my oldest the first year, then vowed not to coach any of my kids (or hers) until they are in at least the fourth grade. Right now, they think that because I'm their coach that they can get away with anything. I'm also in the process of providing a plan to my church for me to run a basketball camp this summer. Have plenty of interest from the parents, now it's just getting them something to go over the legal and insurance aspects of it. I will not be having any of these kids hitting free throws at Andre Drummond's rate (it hurts me so bad to see his free throw percentage).

I read your whole post and it sucks what happened to you, sorry. Being that none of the cards were autographed, memorabilia or numbered I would just chalk that up as a loss and let it stay in the past. Concentrate from here and to the future!

How'd you feel about that trade deadline deal? What was it? Jennings and Ilyasova for Tobias Harris?
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

Was torn, now ok with it. I like Jennings during the Pistons 12-3 run last year after releasing Josh Smith. Jury is still out on Reggie Jackson (quite inconsistent and seems to need the ball in his hand to be effective) so I liked Jennings as a backup (especially compared to Steve Blake and Spencer Dinwiddie) and possible starter if Jackson just **** the bed. However, his play this year (granted, after coming back from injury) has been the worst of his career. So far Tobias has been killing it. 17.1 points on 50/40/87 shooting is much better than what Ilyasova was providing on offense. On defense, he's much quicker than what Ersan. The Pistons have been playing much better offensively with him, but they still have a lot to iron out on the defensive end. They started the season one of the best defensive teams, and have gradually slipped throughout the season. Still hoping to make the playoffs for the first time in the better part of a decade. Smile

(03-17-2016, 12:43 PM)vgqv Wrote: I read your whole post and it sucks what happened to you, sorry. Being that none of the cards were autographed, memorabilia or numbered I would just chalk that up as a loss and let it stay in the past. Concentrate from here and to the future!

How'd you feel about that trade deadline deal? What was it? Jennings and Ilyasova for Tobias Harris?

Sounds like super fun stuff, Jason. I would LOVE to coach any basketball team, you're very lucky. Great to see you doing well, and great to see you on here again.
I am "THE" Elgin Baylor collector. Collecting basketball cards since 1992. You may know me from other places as "SportsItUpCards" or "Gio"

Collecting:

Elgin Baylor

Steve Francis 1999-00 Rare cards #'d to 100 or less

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk