`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When others find out about your obsession

RE: When others find out about your obsession
I'm in my 46th year of non-stop collecting. My first wife tolerated it and would stand by my side as I spent hours sorting through boxes at the LCS. My current wife tolerates it but thinks I should cash in any day now and put the money into "more meaningful things". My weightlifting partner enjoys it and often brings me a pack of cards when he comes to lift and is always ready to see my new additions. My daughter thinks it's stupid (but she thinks everything involving me is stupid). My son collected for awhile but moved on.

I can't seem move on myself. It's therapy for me. Nothing makes me happier than sorting through a huge box of cards, pulling out the ones I want to give a good home to. In the 70s I would buy an entire box at the convenience store and once the storekeeper asked if I was sure I wanted to buy all of those and the guy behind me in line said that I was already investing in my retirement. My father thought they had become my "God" but years later, before he passed, he gave me cards he'd found in an abandoned apartment building. I need them. I can't go into any store and not look to see if they have any cards for sale. They make me happy. I care what others think but not so much that I'm going to stop collecting.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

The look I get when I tell people that I collect baseball cards is usually very amusing. As a 33 year old female I'd say I'm one of the rarer types of collectors. I told the owner at my LCS about a recent pull and that I had traded it for a PC card. He asked, "traded it with friends or something?" Riiiiiiiiiight, because I have friends that collect too. LOL. Well, Beckett friends, maybe. Anyway, I quit hiding it long ago in hopes that people would keep me in mind if they came across any cool finds. I don't let on how bad it is, so when people see "the room" they are usually blown away. Even my dad was shocked by the size of my collection and he started this whole thing 25 years ago!

(03-09-2016, 04:54 PM)Christiem Wrote: The look I get when I tell people that I collect baseball cards is usually very amusing. As a 33 year old female I'd say I'm one of the rarer types of collectors. I told the owner at my LCS about a recent pull and that I had traded it for a PC card. He asked, "traded it with friends or something?" Riiiiiiiiiight, because I have friends that collect too. LOL. Well, Beckett friends, maybe. Anyway, I quit hiding it long ago in hopes that people would keep me in mind if they came across any cool finds. I don't let on how bad it is, so when people see "the room" they are usually blown away. Even my dad was shocked by the size of my collection and he started this whole thing 25 years ago!
I think there's more female collectors than most people realize. There's several on here I've traded with frequently and to be honest, my most honest, reliable clients I do business off line with are two young ladies over in Brooklyn who also happen to be friends of mine. They are major players and have gotten me some amazing cards (and bought quite a few from me too). As a matter of fact, I'll have 2 coming in from them in the near future...

Also, the days of all testosterone fueled card shows are long gone. I always see a healthy female presence at every show.

(03-09-2016, 05:06 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I think there's more female collectors than most people realize. There's several on here I've traded with frequently and to be honest, my most honest, reliable clients I do business off line with are two young ladies over in Brooklyn who also happen to be friends of mine. They are major players and have gotten me some amazing cards (and bought quite a few from me too). As a matter of fact, I'll have 2 coming in from them in the near future...

Also, the days of all testosterone fueled card shows are long gone. I always see a healthy female presence at every show.
The owner at my LCS said he would guess about 10% of his clients are female, but a good portion are buying for their children or spouses. I've traded with a couple of females on this site (literally 2), but I'm sure there are more out there. They have probably received the same drop-jawed reaction I have when telling someone they collect cards. I haven't attended a card show since I was much younger. I may take your word for it and try again.

(03-09-2016, 05:19 PM)Christiem Wrote: The owner at my LCS said he would guess about 10% of his clients are female, but a good portion are buying for their children or spouses. I've traded with a couple of females on this site (literally 2), but I'm sure there are more out there. They have probably received the same drop-jawed reaction I have when telling someone they collect cards. I haven't attended a card show since I was much younger. I may take your word for it and try again.
You should check one out anyway. Shows are just a good time. Soooo many treasures to be found.

(03-09-2016, 05:24 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: You should check one out anyway. Shows are just a good time. Soooo many treasures to be found.
This right here exactly. I always drag my wife along whether I am setting up or just shopping. She usually ends up finding more stuff that she wants to buy than I do.

I don't care what anyone thinks of my hobby.

Why?

Because f--k you, that's why!

In all seriousness, yes, there are times when I wished I hadn't spent so much time and money on it.

But if you're going to have an addiction/passion, this is the one to have.

Unlike drinking or gambling, you always have something tangible to show for it, and if you're in a jam you can always generate some of the funds back.

Most of my coaching buddies know I am big into collecting. They also ask me to go through their childhood collections and let them know "what they have."
I have pulled out great cards for many buddies, letting them know that they have a nice collection for their kids. I have also, sadly enough, informed more buddies about their 1988-94 cards being next to worthless. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is usually the case.