`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You may not like Topps buybacks, but....

RE: You may not like Topps buybacks, but....
(03-05-2016, 09:56 AM)woogie23 Wrote: I'm still going with, they are A LOT better than a printing plate 1/1!

As far as the non 1/1's, I just wish I would get one that was worth more than a late 70's common. Though last year I did get one late 50's common. Sold it for $5 I think. Have yet to get any sort of a big name or a Cubbie buyback.
My only complaint about the 'buyback' cards are the condition. If Topps is going to the trouble to re-stamp re-issue an old card, at least have the decency to use a card in better than 'fair to almost-good' condition. A near mint card for the majority of the cards I've seen or opened, wouldn't have cost very much more and would have looked like they actually cared about us.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(03-08-2016, 07:34 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: My only complaint about the 'buyback' cards are the condition. If Topps is going to the trouble to re-stamp re-issue an old card, at least have the decency to use a card in better than 'fair to almost-good' condition. A near mint card for the majority of the cards I've seen or opened, wouldn't have cost very much more and would have looked like they actually cared about us.
I agree but with these buybacks I wonder how many collectors (new collectors that is) is getting interested in the older sets.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(03-08-2016, 07:34 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: My only complaint about the 'buyback' cards are the condition. If Topps is going to the trouble to re-stamp re-issue an old card, at least have the decency to use a card in better than 'fair to almost-good' condition. A near mint card for the majority of the cards I've seen or opened, wouldn't have cost very much more and would have looked like they actually cared about us.
+1. Good to see you Doc.

I'm still 50/50 on the buybacks but with that being said if I pulled one that was geared towards my PC, I would keep it.

Nice addition to your PC!

Thanks for all the responses and your thoughts on buybacks! I'm currently on the lookout for 1969 Topps Mets buybacks (big shock, I know) for a set I fully understand I'll never complete. Searching is half the fun. The post mentioning "profit collecting" is dead-on IMHO. While there is no wrong way to collect, the new products hold very little to no interest to me other than the ability to flip a nice pull for something to add to my PC. There's the occasional bat or jersey relic representing a member of the'69 Mets, but aside from that, not much gets my attention.
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1

I love those cards and am always willing to trade or buy (if cheap enough) for them.

Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.