`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which is Better BGS, BVG, or PSA

Which is Better BGS, BVG, or PSA
Okay so I have a Nolan Ryan rc that got a BGS 5 what is better to have a BGS 5, BVG 5 or a PSA 5...Just wondering every ones thoughts on the matter. THanks

RE: Which is Better BGS, BVG, or PSA
Beckett grades vintage as BVG and modern as BGS. A Ryan RC would be BVG. PSA has a stronger following in vintage but imo a much weaker grading standard. Price wise the PSA is worth more in the secondary market.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

(02-07-2016, 01:31 AM)crossada Wrote: Beckett grades vintage as BVG and modern as BGS. A Ryan RC would be BVG. PSA has a stronger following in vintage but imo a much weaker grading standard. Price wise the PSA is worth more in the secondary market.
+1 on everything he said. I also find BVG's encapsulation to be a far superior and much more attractive option than PSA. Also, when you start getting into vintage with higher grades (7's and above), any good dealer or auction house will critique the card disregarding the case and if they find that your BVG 8 is equivalent or superior to most PSA 8's you'll be compensated fairly in trade or cash.

It becomes opinion, I think SGC cases look the best on vintage cards, BVG protect the best, but PSA offers the hobbyist the best rounded package with availability, registry, slab, etc.

Take into consideration I do not usually grade raw cards but rather purchase certain high grades for my collection.
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(02-07-2016, 01:31 AM)crossada Wrote: Beckett grades vintage as BVG and modern as BGS. A Ryan RC would be BVG. PSA has a stronger following in vintage but imo a much weaker grading standard. Price wise the PSA is worth more in the secondary market.
+1

Mark, what it sounds like to me is once78 is describing a card Graded by Beckett before they started using the BVG system of Grading. I bought a BGS 4 Nolan Ryan RC and crossed it to BVG hoping for a higher Grade. This was in like 2003, before Beckett took the subgrades off. The card got the exact same subgrades.

I too think that Beckett (BGS/BVG) is far Superior to PSA and for that matter SGC.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

All I know is I'm a member at SGC, PSA, and Beckett and members at each say the same things about superiority as expected. I was once all BVG/BGS then went SGC for vintage and ultimately ended up PSA for all. I found for me anyways when I detached from the preference and opinion of any of the three that PSA made the most sense.

My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

So my next question is should I attempt to send the Ryan rc to PSA for grading if it sells better or leave it? Thanks for all the help guys.

(02-07-2016, 11:31 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: +1

Mark, what it sounds like to me is once78 is describing a card Graded by Beckett before they started using the BVG system of Grading. I bought a BGS 4 Nolan Ryan RC and crossed it to BVG hoping for a higher Grade. This was in like 2003, before Beckett took the subgrades off. The card got the exact same subgrades.

I too think that Beckett (BGS/BVG) is far Superior to PSA and for that matter SGC.
Ok. Thanks Jason. That does make more sense.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

(02-07-2016, 01:01 PM)once78 Wrote: So my next question is should I attempt to send the Ryan rc to PSA for grading if it sells better or leave it? Thanks for all the help guys.
No. If you send it in to PSA you run the risk of them grading it lower. Also, with the current PSA 5 value of a Ryan rc being $285 that puts your Ryan at $200-$230. You'll end up spending more than the difference of the 2 just having it graded and will in all likelihood will not receive the same grade.

(02-07-2016, 01:33 PM)crossada Wrote: Ok. Thanks Jason. That does make more sense.
You're quite welcome bud!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!