`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oddball 1999 Finest Gold Refractor card

Oddball 1999 Finest Gold Refractor card
I recently came across 1999 Finest Gold Refractor that was advertised as having no serial number. Me being no stranger to picking up printing error cards from that set, I grabbed it. What's even more interesting to me is the straight edges on the card. That year Topps made all Gold Refractors with small scalloped edges (see below). Does anyone have any information on how this card came to be, whether it was some sort of printing proof, cut from an uncut sheet, or back doored out of Topps garbage bins?

Key differences:
1. Boston card is missing serial number on the back at the bottom of the player picture
2. Boston card has straight edges

Key similarities:
1. Both have the gold refractor tag on the back at the top
2. Both have the visual look of a gold refractor on the front

RE: Oddball 1999 Finest Gold Refractor card
It looks like a seller who had uncut sheets of these (both football and baseball) and then cut them up themselves.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

RE: Oddball 1999 Finest Gold Refractor card
(01-31-2016, 10:51 PM)jaderock Wrote: It looks like a seller who had uncut sheets of these (both football and baseball) and then cut them up themselves.
Man that is incredibly painful. Take have uncut sheets of these on display would be amazing. I agree with your thoughts, that does seem to be the most likely case.