`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about grading conditions

question about grading conditions
I have been a long time member here; I'd like to think I know quite a bit about cards and especially vintage stuff.
How much is taken off on a grade for damage on the back? I have a 48 Leaf Robinson that would probably grade at 5 or 6 without the paper loss from peeled off tape on the back. Would it be worth sending in to be graded or will it make it too low of a grade and take away from how nice it looks? Not particularly looking to sell, but I am simply curious. Thanks for any input.

RE: question about grading conditions
I submitted a 1938 Goudey DiMaggio to Beckett that was the single most beautiful ungraded '38 Goudey DiMaggio I had ever seen. Clean surface and back, 4 really nice corners and the edges were phenomenal. The only thing it had wrong with it was a very small spot of paper loss by the face like something had been stuck to it when it was in a stack of cards, left for a looooong time and then eventually separated. It ended up coming back a BVG 2. Any grading company deducts big time for paper loss.

paper loss is probably the worst thing that could happen to a card. bends and folds, corner dings are nothing compared to paper loss.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

To the OP if you go to the sites of the three major graders PSA, BVG/BGS, & SGC and do a little digging each have a page or info showing exactly how their grading criteria stacks up. Hopefully this will help you a little further. I would say look into them and worst case scenario have it put it a non-grade authentic slab if it is for PC anyways.
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

Thanks a bunch, and that is sort of what I had figured. I think I will simply keep it as is; t's still a cool card.

(01-24-2016, 01:26 AM)the cardboard fan Wrote: To the OP if you go to the sites of the three major graders PSA, BVG/BGS, & SGC and do a little digging each have a page or info showing exactly how their grading criteria stacks up. Hopefully this will help you a little further. I would say look into them and worst case scenario have it put it a non-grade authentic slab if it is for PC anyways.