`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For people who build sets...

For people who build sets...
I like to bust packs and sort thru singles for the cards I need at shows. Just curious how others view using eBay as a way to build sets. It seems way to easy/boring to just go and buy all the cards I need. I'm interested in hearing how you incorporate eBay into collecting.

RE: For people who build sets...
I use eBay for cards I just can't find in other places.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(01-21-2016, 03:14 PM)JoeAdam Wrote: I'm interested in hearing how you incorporate eBay into collecting.
eBay is an option for me depending on the card. First choice for me is seeing if there is a trading partner out there, then I'll hit up COMC or sportlots, then eBay, and a last resort Beckett marketplace. For scarcer cards eBay tends to float higher to the top and for more easy to find the cards it sinks low.

I have nothing against the Beckett marketplace and I've made purchases from there before. The cost is typically too high to what I'm willing to pay/can find.

(01-21-2016, 05:19 PM)jplarson Wrote: eBay is an option for me depending on the card. First choice for me is seeing if there is a trading partner out there, then I'll hit up COMC or sportlots, then eBay, and a last resort Beckett marketplace. For scarcer cards eBay tends to float higher to the top and for more easy to find the cards it sinks low.

I have nothing against the Beckett marketplace and I've made purchases from there before. The cost is typically too high to what I'm willing to pay/can find.
Agree with this almost 100%. Where I defer is that I don't trade. The reason for this is I only buy for my PC and I seldom bust packs, so I have very little to trade.

My only issue with COMC is it is very limited for who/what sets I collect, and I have pretty much exhausted my options here. And some of the folks are getting kind of pricey on there, too. A while back I found the last card needed to complete a set I was working on but he wanted way to much, and wouldn't budge on the price. I waited for over a year for it to pop up on ebay at a price I was willing to pay. That card is still on COMC, by the way.

Since I am primarily building older sets ebay is my first choice. And it doesn't feel boring because many of the items I am missing are tough to find, so when they pop up it's kind of like getting a hit in a pack. And besides...busting packs is a giant waste of money--huge cost up front with very little return...monetarily or for my PC.

I have also had pretty good luck with Sportlots, but like COMC, I quickly exhausted that option.

And Beckett Marketplace = expensive. I only use it in a moment of desperation or if a good deal pops up.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

If you build old sets out of wax you don't have a lot of choice. I'm building a 1958 FB set which I want to have graded with a minimum grade of BVG 7 (NM). It's tough to find these cards in good condition in shops or shows because there is not much demand. You would think more sellers on ebay understand this supply and demand concept :-). I get the high price for a Jim Brown RC but not for the commons....
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]