`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Going to the Hall?

RE: Who's Going to the Hall?
Do you think Jim Thome will make it? #7 all-time in home runs with 612. #2 all-time in strikeouts with 2548.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Just my thoughts...

From the 1980s:
Barry Bonds - Veteran committee many years from now
Roger Clemens - Veteran committee many years from now
Don Mattingly - no
Fred McGriff - no
Mark McGwire - Veteran committee many years from now
Ken Griffey Jr. - 1st ballot
Sammy Sosa - no

From the 1990s:
Jeff Bagwell - yes
Nomar Garciaparra - no
Vladimir Guerrero - no
Todd Helton - no
Derek Jeter - 1st ballot
Chipper Jones - yes
Mike Piazza - yes
Manny Ramirez - Never
Mariano Rivera - yes
Alex Rodriguez - Never
Ivan Rodriguez - yes
Ichiro Suzuki - Yes

From the 2000s: Very hard here except Pujols because some are in line but injuries and such can change everything.
Albert Pujols - yes
Ryan Howard - no
Joe Mauer - no
Justin Verlander - no
Dustin Pedroia - Maybe, as long as his stats stay in line with all the other HOF 2nd basemen and they currently are.
Evan Longoria - no
Clayton Kershaw - Good chance
Buster Posey - Good Chance
Mike Trout - Really looking good
Yasiel Puig - Possible

(01-02-2016, 08:49 AM)ne12bc12 Wrote: Just my thoughts...

From the 1980s:
Barry Bonds - Veteran committee many years from now
Roger Clemens - Veteran committee many years from now
Don Mattingly - no
Fred McGriff - no
Mark McGwire - Veteran committee many years from now
Ken Griffey Jr. - 1st ballot
Sammy Sosa - no

From the 1990s:
Jeff Bagwell - yes
Nomar Garciaparra - no
Vladimir Guerrero - no
Todd Helton - no
Derek Jeter - 1st ballot
Chipper Jones - yes
Mike Piazza - yes
Manny Ramirez - Never
Mariano Rivera - yes
Alex Rodriguez - Never
Ivan Rodriguez - yes
Ichiro Suzuki - Yes

From the 2000s: Very hard here except Pujols because some are in line but injuries and such can change everything.
Albert Pujols - yes
Ryan Howard - no
Joe Mauer - no
Justin Verlander - no
Dustin Pedroia - Maybe, as long as his stats stay in line with all the other HOF 2nd basemen and they currently are.
Evan Longoria - no
Clayton Kershaw - Good chance
Buster Posey - Good Chance
Mike Trout - Really looking good
Yasiel Puig - Possible

I could see the veterans committee voting some in. I'm not sure about Big Mac though. Having a shade over 1600 career hits really hurts him.

(01-02-2016, 08:44 AM)zeprock Wrote: Do you think Jim Thome will make it? #7 all-time in home runs with 612. #2 all-time in strikeouts with 2548.
I think he will. Seems like 600 home runs should be automatic unless you are associated with PEDs, which he isn't.
[Image: Carlos-Gonzalez-Desktop-Wallpaper-700x39...faada7.jpg]

(01-02-2016, 08:44 AM)zeprock Wrote: Do you think Jim Thome will make it? #7 all-time in home runs with 612. #2 all-time in strikeouts with 2548.
I think he has a chance because of the HR #s. A great guy to boot, however he was very average / below average in all other phases of the game. Will be interesting to see how the voters view him on his 1st ballot.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I'm going to say yes. As Phillies mentioned he was average in other facets of the game but with more attention being given to the DH spot for consideration it bodes well for him. If a DH can get in, I'd say it was a plus he at least got on the field and contributed. That and by all accounts he was just a great guy.

(01-03-2016, 09:26 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: I'm going to say yes. As Phillies mentioned he was average in other facets of the game but with more attention being given to the DH spot for consideration it bodes well for him. If a DH can get in, I'd say it was a plus he at least got on the field and contributed. That and by all accounts he was just a great guy.
Funny, I always view him as a 1st baseman as that is what he played here in Philly. I think that 450+ of his homers came playing that position, so I really don't think of him as a DH (ie...not lumped in with Big Papi or Edgar who basically only DH'd). Not ripping the DH position by any means.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(01-03-2016, 09:33 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Funny, I always view him as a 1st baseman as that is what he played here in Philly. I think that 450+ of his homers came playing that position, so I really don't think of him as a DH (ie...not lumped in with Big Papi or Edgar who basically only DH'd). Not ripping the DH position by any means.
No, no. I meant that more DH's are being talked about /expected to get into the hall. If a DH can get in based on power numbers, I think a guy with power who got onto the field and contributed should not be snubbed if he was just an average, or even below average fielder if he had staggering offensive numbers.

I think it will be awhile for Thome
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

Another player who I have not collected and is now eligible is Trevor Hoffman. I expect most people think he's going. I don't think it will be first ballot. I personally am not 100% sure he belongs but that's only because I am biased against players who play one inning or less of maybe half of his team's games. Does that make a Hall of Fame career? That's why I got burned by not having collections of Gossage and Sutter when they were inducted. The only relievers I've collected were Wilhelm, Fingers, Eckersley and Rivera. I've since added collections of Gossage, Sutter and Smoltz (who, like Eck, relieved part of his career).
MLB must have been tipped off to this thread as they posted this article today.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/160117914/...ooperstown
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html