Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with old UD hologram variations

Need help with old UD hologram variations
Hi there!

I recently found out that in the early 90's, Upper Deck used several different holograms on the back of their cards. I really had no idea even if I've collected cards since the mid 90's. Maybe because I live in Sweden and collecting cards is not a big hobby here anymore. Maybe we are a bit isolated Tongue

I have scoped the web for all possible information about this and found some hints to what has going on back then but I cant say I'm satisfied to alter my checklist with these new variations until I get some more answers. And thats where I hope you can come in and tell me a bit about this old topic.

First of all, the information I found often reference to baseball cards, and baseball cards only and I'm not sure if it is the same rules that apply to the hockey cards that I collect.

What I found out is that there are 5 different hologram variations in the 90-91 and 91-92 Upper Deck sets.
And this is what I have found in my own Brett Hull collection.

In the 90-91 I have found 4 different hologram variations so far.
The one with UPPER DECK in text and baseballs in the background.
The one with UPPER DECK in text, 90 in larger font and crossed hockeysticks.
The one with UPPER DECK in text and 91 in different font.
The one with UPPER DECK in text, 90 in larger font and NO hockeysticks.

In the 91-92 I have only found 2 different hologram variations.
The one with UPPER DECK in text and 91 in different font.
The one with the Upper Deck diamond logo.

So the question here is if the 5 variations is found in both years sets or only in the variations I found?
Like, is there no Upper Deck diamond logo variation in the 90-91 set?

I have also read about the "Comic Ball 1 set" variation and that I think that it is the one I mention with the Upper Deck in text and 90 in larger font without the crossing hockeysticks?
Is this correct?

I have also been looking for pictures of the different variations but holograms are very hard to get good pictures of and thats one other reason why I'm unsure of the information I got.
So I went on and got my own set of pictures that you can see on the link below.

http://www.bretthull.se/UD_HOLO.jpg

I really love to find different variations of any sort to expand my collection, but when I do I want to be sure that I got all info I need to actually collect them. There is no point looking for variations in sets that simply does not exist.

If anyone can help with any information about this topic, please comment. Any help is appreciated.
I want to know everything there is to know on this subject Big Grin

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!
Kim from Sweden!

RE: Need help with old UD hologram variations
I heard rumor of the variations in the 91-92 set before but had never seen any real info until now. Are your hologram variations all on the same card or are the variations you show from several different cards? I don't have any answers to your question, but I also happen to collect Hull and enjoy finding old and unlisted variations for my collection.
Collecting Brett Hull
[Image: 2013-14%20Prime%20Colors%20Patch%201992%...esized.jpg]

These variations is from different cards in these sets, but I got like 2 or 3 variations from the same card, so I suppose there is a difference.

Really nobody here who knows anything about this???

Please help!

Not sure but here is my take. Upper Deck had several different holograms they used and as the made the cards which ever one ended up on that card ended up their. Not an intentional variation and makes no difference on value.

The few people who discussed this on different blogs and forums earlier found out that some of these holograms are very rare and hard to find. For a hardcore collector this would men a higher value. The positive point of this is that so few seems to know about it that the values are not that high.