Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supplies Question regarding Semi-Rigid Holders

Supplies Question regarding Semi-Rigid Holders
Good Morning!

I've been placing most of my vintage commons in semi-rigid holders, mainly CardSaverII's. For some reason, I like how they look in that compared to toploaders. Now, here's the question if you use or have used semi-rigid holders. Do you always use a penny sleeve WITH the holder or do you just put the card in without it? Just curious as I have done both but I'm not sure if not having a penny sleeve could somehow damage the card over time. Thanks for any input!

Happy Collecting!

Mark

RE: Supplies Question regarding Semi-Rigid Holders
I always use a penny sleeve. It seems to protect the card anytime I insert or remove a card from a case top loader or semi rigid.

I've only used the semi-rigid in the past. To me it's a compromise between the 2. I don't trust penny sleeves on their own and the cards are to valuable (monetarily or for personal reasons), but they aren't important or valuable enough to take up so much money/space if using top loaders. I just don't see the point (for my own collection) to use the penny sleeve. My vintage mid-grade sets aren't handled regularly so the semi-rigid is more than enough protection, and great on space.

I use Premium Penny sleeves inside a Semi-rigid holder for all of my standard stock cards. The premium sleeve is, as far as I can tell, much better than the standard sleeve but also costs a bit more. The way I look at this is: BGS uses penny sleeves to hold the card in their slabs, so they must be worth it.

This is all temporary for me as I plan to grade pretty much every card I have and don't collect a lot of stuff outside of my PC.

Cheers,

Thanks for the responses!

Guess it's the ol' saying...whatever floats your boat!

I've always used penny sleeves with the semi rigid holders.
[Image: pU8rB.jpg]

2006 Upper Deck Epic Base 19/300
Starling Marte, Bill Mazeroski, Ralph Kiner, Neil Walker, Jason Kendall

I have all my Phillies base, parallels, and inserts in semi rigid holders with a penny sleeve. Just a personal preference. The only cards that are in one without a penny sleeve are my 1954, 1955, and 1956 Topps. Can't seem to find a penny sleeve to fit that size card. I use to use albums but space and the bending of the #9 card slot has caused me to switch to these. Can fit many more cards in a 3 row box than an album and I don't have to worry about that one page corner bending.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

(12-03-2015, 11:12 AM)mjmj1966 Wrote: I have all my Phillies base, parallels, and inserts in semi rigid holders with a penny sleeve. Just a personal preference. The only cards that are in one without a penny sleeve are my 1954, 1955, and 1956 Topps. Can't seem to find a penny sleeve to fit that size card. I use to use albums but space and the bending of the #9 card slot has caused me to switch to these. Can fit many more cards in a 3 row box than an album and I don't have to worry about that one page corner bending.
These will work for your 50's Topps

[Image: Scan0027_zpssxhmzdpn.jpg]

(11-22-2015, 09:22 AM)madamson Wrote: Good Morning!

I've been placing most of my vintage commons in semi-rigid holders, mainly CardSaverII's. For some reason, I like how they look in that compared to toploaders. Now, here's the question if you use or have used semi-rigid holders. Do you always use a penny sleeve WITH the holder or do you just put the card in without it? Just curious as I have done both but I'm not sure if not having a penny sleeve could somehow damage the card over time. Thanks for any input!

Happy Collecting!

Mark
I personally only use penny sleeves for chromium style cards to prevent the cards from getting stuck. Vintage and "regular" cards like Topps flagship seem to work fine without them.