`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MY 10 YEAR SEARCH IS OVER!!!!!

MY 10 YEAR SEARCH IS OVER!!!!!
I have finally procured what I believe to be the centerpiece card for anyone collecting the 2004 Red Sox World Series champions. My search for this card started in early 2005 when Upper Deck released First Pitch baseball cards. Of note, this was a retail release only and all the memorabilia cards and autographed cards are ridiculously scarce. Though none of them are listed as short print, it is very hard to pull one. I constantly searched for this card over the years and even offered up to $125.00 finder’s fee for anyone that could find this card for me. Through the years I have opened more boxes of 2005 UD First Pitch than I really care to admit but did it hoping for that magical moment of pulling this card, which never happened. I saw one for sale on FeeBay about 7 years ago or something like that, stopped my bidding when it hit more than five times book value because at the time I believed more would surface and hadn't yet realized how scarce the card truly is. Well, last Thursday I was contacted by a collector selling off some cards and fortunately for me had read one of the posts I had made about wanting this card. A deal was struck and the card arrived today.

This is the beauty…

[Image: FU2K40y.jpg]
2005 Upper Deck First Pitch Signature Stars #DR Dave Roberts

Now, undoubtedly some of you are going to point out the San Diego Padres on the front and back. My answer to that is, “So be it, it’s the only autographed Dave Roberts card with him in a Red Sox uniform, the only one.” Some of you may also question Dave Roberts. If you are a Red Sox fan you should be well versed in the “the steal”, but I’m sure some don’t so here is a good description I found…

So much changed in just 90 feet.

Take a second to think about what might have happened had Dave Roberts not stolen second base. If the fleet-footed veteran outfielder hadn’t swiped the bag in Game 4 of the 2004 American League Championship Series, how might things have been different?

If Roberts was thrown out — and boy was it close — it’s likely the Boston Red Sox would have lost Game 4. They would have been swept in the ALCS by the hated New York Yankees, eliminated by their rivals in the season’s penultimate series for the second consecutive season.
The World Series championship — the first of three for the Red Sox over the course of the next decade — wouldn’t have happened. Sure, it’s possible the Sox might have reloaded in the offseason and come back in 2005 and erased an 87-year drought, but who really knows for sure?

What we do know, however, is that Roberts was safe. By the slightest of margins. Fingertips. It was perhaps the greatest illustration of how small the difference can be between the thrill of victory and agony of defeat.

Source: http://nesn.com/2014/10/dave-roberts-200...ble-video/

Thanks for reading,
Rob

RE: MY 10 YEAR SEARCH IS OVER!!!!!
God d@%# it! AAAAAAAAAHHHHH! Well, at least you got one. Congratulations Rob. That card is an illusive monster around here... and Ebay. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Congrats on finding your card. I know you've been after it for a while.

Great story and amazing find. That's why we post weekly. It may take 10 years hahahaha
no org, please do not send trade requests

Ooh........Jacoby will be jealous! Great pickup, Rob!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Goody Goody Gumdrops

Now we need to find 2 more for other members to fulfill their want with this particular card.

Glad you found one and a deal was made.

I dont even have a auto from that set and i find that kind of strange. Hmm
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Congratulations. That card is amazing. Have you decided on your new card search?

Congrats! I didn't realize how scare that card was, I bet it feels great to add to your collection!
I collect Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro, Felix Hernandez, and Leroy Herrmann.
[Image: a750043d-e984-4626-8e50-438b7e1ecdd1.jpg]

That's awesome congrats on finding it!

Congrats! I'll keep my eyes open for anymore at the next card show for the other guys needing one.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]