`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Treasures Product Alert

Universal Treasures Product Alert
I’m posting this to alert collectors in our hobby regarding a product on the market at this time. The company is called Universal Treasures. In the past they have made many products claiming to be “a great card search” offering some of the most valued cards in the hobby to people lucky enough to find the “golden ticket or package”. Based on my experience this company and product is all a sham. Most of the products contain overproduced packs or cards from the late 80’s and 90’s. Recently I purchased three boxes of the latest product to try to find the PSA 7 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. The product claims to be limited to 407 boxes (same number of cards in the set) and giving away all the cards from the 1952 Topps set.

Upon opening the boxes I found 16 packs of basically garbage. All packs from 2000-2015 as the package states. They are each valued at around $1 a piece. The first box contained a common 1952 Topps card (not in the last series either) valued at around $30. The second box was basically the same. All 16 packs exactly the same as the first box and yet another common 1952 Topps card. The third box had the same 16 packs from the first two boxes and this time I actually found one of the 1952 Topps cards pictured on the box. Of course at first I was ecstatic but that was till I did some analysis. The card on the box is pictured as black back PSA9 but the one I pulled from the box was a red back PSA 5. Quite a difference in grade, scarcity, and certainly monetary value. So even when I found one of the so-called prize possessions I still only had a card valued at around $150 accompanied by the $16 in packs. The cost for each box was around $200 and has a suggested retail price of $429 per box.

I’m hoping that this information proves to be helpful to all of you. My advice is to absolutely avoid this company/product completely. I know some of you may say that I brought this on myself but do the math. If this search is actually legit wouldn’t you spend $200 to take a shot of possibly pulling a PSA 7 1952 Topps Mantle (valued at around $80,00 or so) along with other big time cards from the set? Based on my experience I’m guessing that this “search” isn’t legit and I even wonder if there is a Mantle to be found. If there is actually one, is it a PSA 7 and really authentic? My guess is all the big time cards were purchased as higher grades, sold, and then replaced with a card graded as a 5. I would be shocked if anyone actually pulled a card from a box graded higher than a 7.

I’ve contacted the company with my concerns without a response so far. It is my intention to pursue a class action suit against this company. If there are any others that have purchased this product and feel that the company/product isn’t legitimate please contact me to join in this process. Any additional information or testimonials would be extremely helpful as well. Sorry for the long read. Thanks for your time.

RE: Universal Treasures Product Alert
I've never even heard of them but my first tip it wasn't a legit product would have been the price of the box. At $200 per box and and an alleged 407 total boxes, that would have grossed the company $81,400. The cost of a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle in a PSA 7 is $85,000. And more likely than not your paying more than that. Just from that one card they'd be in the red, not to mention the 406 other cards including the Mathews.

I have seen this and several similar products recently on my Facebook feed. I can only guess they are using target marketing so they can be seen by people who are interested in cards, and hope that a few gullible collectors try their luck. I would never buy into one of these "golden ticket" style "boxes" with any company that doesn't have a solid background in actually delivering as promised. Who is to say that they didn't actually get the PSA7 Mantle and put it in a box, but that box just so happened to have been purchased by an employee. They could garner up all sorts of PR by showing the excited person opening the box to find the Mantle, thus helping their next golden ticket box event sell even better after showing they are really packing out the best cards. These are some of the worst scams out there, as they prey on collectors that are already used to 'gambling' by buying boxes, so it's easier to justify buying into it. I have seen some offer deals like buy 2 boxes get 1 free and all sorts of crazy guarantees, like a graded HOF per box (most likely will be a PSA 9 1989 Score Randy Johnson, or something similar).
A lessen I learned a long time ago...a fool and his money are easily separated.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

We've probably all been in your situation before. Fooled by the hype of some 'not so' great chase repack scam.
Personally, mine was SuperBox by SBay cards. I think a 'Mantle RC Grand Prize' was the bait.
Just learn from this and never let them fool you again.
Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.