`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eichel signs exclusive with Leaf so...

Eichel signs exclusive with Leaf so...
BAd deal for UD as there will NOT be any autographed cards for Eichel in any UD products this year. So no Autograph RC for Eichel.

RE: Eichel signs exclusive with Leaf so...
I just saw the message from Brian Gray I got!

How can that work?? I thought the NHL didn't allow exclusive trading card agreements anymore. Can Leaf actually block Eichel autos in NHL licensed products??

I'm a little confused. As I understand it, Panini can sign athletes to exclusive autograph agreements on merchandise and memorabilia, but not exclusivity on trading cards..

For those who haven't heard / seen:

[Image: EIchle_Release_FullR.jpg]

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

Plus it will be bad for Eichel fans as well. I read the article earlier today and was very disappointed. And I'm not a fan of Leaf.

First, the exclusives deal for Hockey was only between NHL licensed competition-- So only between UD and panini between 2010-11 and 2013-14 seasons.

Second, can the NHL block this-- we will have to wait until he plays a game to see. I say No, as the players are now free to sign auto deals with who ever they want.

I guess he isn't a member of the NHLPA then. Shall be interesting.

He also has an exclusive autograph signing deal with Dave and Adams here in Buffalo for the next 3? years. I'm wondering if that means if I bring an UD RC to one of these signings is he by contract prohibited from signing that item?

(09-07-2015, 11:39 AM)rippinwax Wrote: I guess he isn't a member of the NHLPA then. Shall be interesting.
Nope-- not a member until he plays 1 game, but players are still allowed to sign deals likes this if they want. Now the NHLPA may pressure him to get out of the deal with leaf. And at the time he signed thi deal he was not a member of the NHLPA.

(09-07-2015, 03:51 PM)Schism213 Wrote: He also has an exclusive autograph signing deal with Dave and Adams here in Buffalo for the next 3? years. I'm wondering if that means if I bring an UD RC to one of these signings is he by contract prohibited from signing that item?
As I understand it, and I believe Brian Gray himself has answered this on another forum - YES.
If someone shows up to ANY Eichel signing with a card made by anyone else but Leaf, Jack Eichel is contractually obligated to refuse to sign it. I say anyone else, because I think the deal may cover all the "homemade" cards that are being sold on the other place right now. Leaf only has a deal on cards, but it gives them total say on what cards he can sign.
I know when I spoke to a few people from D&A about any upcoming signings, they weren't sure about this, but will now be very specific on any signage for an Eichel signing about what can be brought in to be signed.

(09-07-2015, 08:03 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: Nope-- not a member until he plays 1 game, but players are still allowed to sign deals likes this if they want. Now the NHLPA may pressure him to get out of the deal with leaf. And at the time he signed thi deal he was not a member of the NHLPA.
I had someone point out to me how INCREDIBLY similar this deal is to the one that happened a few years back between Leaf and Damian Lilliard in the NBA.

Initially, Lillard was signed to an exclusive autograph deal with Leaf, which at the time was touted as "One of the richest ever". Sound familiar??

But, a matter of months later THIS HAPPENED :

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/09/pani...autograph/

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

Brian Gray stated somewhere I read also that he tried to avoid this when UD was about to land the exclusive with Connor McDavid, tried to reach a deal so that they both would be able to use both players, but UD refused, so I don't see them working together right now.

"Jack is easily the most NHL ready player in the 2015 draft". Oh I beg to differ especially after Stamko's said today Connor McDavid is better than me today, he is a special player. Just another smoke and mirror show from a company that likes to live on the edge. Its always about the money and its sad that a Canadian would boost up an American player above one of his fellow countrymen. Then again, that's just business.