`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone get to the end of collecting?

RE: Anyone get to the end of collecting?
Thanks for all of the responses. I know I will never really be finished collecting. It seems like it sometimes. And then I'll find cards sold where I don't expect them to be or a new card shop will open and I'm hooked again.

I have a goal of putting together a run of '90s Bowman sets and it was becoming boring. If anyone is trying to quit, put a '94 Bowman set together with packs. That will help. I have to refocus my collecting. I'm going back to building my collection of significant and oddball 80s rookies.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(08-30-2015, 09:07 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: Have any of you gotten to the point where you have all of the sets you want and all of the singles you really want? I think I'm getting there. What did you do next? (other than take a break)
Don't think I've ever gotten to that point, but have taken a few breaks from collecting, only to return with more thirst for hunting down those PC cards.

I would say if you feel like there is nothing more for you to collect, maybe try to set a new goal, or new collection focus. Something along those lines. Who knows, it may get you pumped back up into collecting again.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

I don't see an end to collecting as long as I am alive. There is always some new project. There is so many new things and old stuff that I can add to my collection.

I refocused on graded cards only. More expensive per card but less to buy. Really has energized my collecting.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

(09-04-2015, 06:10 PM)crossada Wrote: I refocused on graded cards only. More expensive per card but less to buy. Really has energized my collecting.
L@@ks like we're in the same boat.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Will never get to the end. I did a major redo about a year or two ago. I had way to much stuff and no real focus. because of my space constraints, added 2 kids to the house, I decided to keep collecting Kershaw but beyond that just one card of every HOF'er ( wherever possible the card has to be from when they were playing, no reprints or card produced after there playing days). If I had stopped there I would probably never get to the end. I changed from just a card to a graded card, then a rookie graded card, and even if I complete that I can upgrade the condition of the card. And these days just collecting one player and trying to get all of there cards can be a monumental, actually impossible task. I keep picking away at the Kershaw's but will never get close to the end. Each year I wait for all of that year's cards to come out and then set about trying to collect all the new Kershaw's. As a side project a started collecting cards of the Cy Young winners and MVPs each year. There are tons of projects you can work on you just have to find the one that appeals to you. I suppose you may reach a place where nothing appeals to you anymore but there are enough projects that you can work on that you should be able to keep the fun and enjoyment going.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

(09-05-2015, 02:51 PM)randall44 Wrote: Will never get to the end. I did a major redo about a year or two ago. I had way to much stuff and no real focus. because of my space constraints, added 2 kids to the house, I decided to keep collecting Kershaw but beyond that just one card of every HOF'er ( wherever possible the card has to be from when they were playing, no reprints or card produced after there playing days). If I had stopped there I would probably never get to the end. I changed from just a card to a graded card, then a rookie graded card, and even if I complete that I can upgrade the condition of the card. And these days just collecting one player and trying to get all of there cards can be a monumental, actually impossible task. I keep picking away at the Kershaw's but will never get close to the end. Each year I wait for all of that year's cards to come out and then set about trying to collect all the new Kershaw's. As a side project a started collecting cards of the Cy Young winners and MVPs each year. There are tons of projects you can work on you just have to find the one that appeals to you. I suppose you may reach a place where nothing appeals to you anymore but there are enough projects that you can work on that you should be able to keep the fun and enjoyment going.
I really want your chrome Kershaws.

I've been away from trading for awhile now and rarely get a chance to buy anything. We are trying to get a house so money has been non existent lately. When the finances become available again I doubt I'll do much except for continue getting every Goldschmidt card under 8 bucks and collect every tribute set that comes out. Those are the only 2 things that really bring me any kind of happiness from collecting. I'm done busting wax and trading for cards with the exception of the above. Trading just gets too expensive for me. I simply don't have the desire to spend a bunch of money on cards anymore. The autos, relics, and printing plates kinda ruined the hobby for me. The market is so flooded with them and people are so greedy with their asking prices on most it takes me out of the game before I can even think about getting a cool auto. I also don't like having boxes of cards everywhere that just sit there, I prefer to put all my sets and favorite cards in binders and not have the clutter anymore. So basically I'm collecting the above and that's about it besides an auto here and there or personal projects I wanna tackle. Buying set needs and cards above is easier than trading for one or 2 here and there.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

(08-30-2015, 09:07 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: Have any of you gotten to the point where you have all of the sets you want and all of the singles you really want? I think I'm getting there. What did you do next? (other than take a break)
The nature of my collecting won't let me get there, but with other hobbies I left behind I found something else to do and spend money on. I only do things that I can make fun.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.