`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Do you want to see my set?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Heck Yeah! Rock on Dude!
91.43%
32 91.43%
Maybe but this is a baseball thread. Post it in the Misc. Forum (where no one will see it).
5.71%
2 5.71%
Nah! Not interested
2.86%
1 2.86%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OT: The Set I've Always Wanted

OT: The Set I've Always Wanted
In 1970 I bought my first pack of Topps baseball cards.

It cost me a dime and I got a little comic book of Bob Gibson (who was a Harlem Globetrotter) along with a small stack of baseball cards and a stick of gum (I liked gum). One of the cards in my pack was an all-star card of Carl Yastrzemski, my favorite player from my favorite team. I was hooked big time.

That same year I bought my first record, a K-Tel album featuring Tommy James "Draggin' the Line", Tony Orlando & Dawn "Knock Three Times", Sugarloaf's "Green-Eyed Lady" and songs from the Partridge Family and Melanie among others. That was the first of over 6000 albums now in my collection. I was hooked big time.

Long time members of this forum know that I am a disc-jockey at a rock and roll radio station in Bangor, Maine and host my own request show each Sunday and out of my 34 years of doing this, I have done this particular show for 23 of those years. They named me Fred Zeppelin when I started and that's where my user name comes from because Zep rocks. I start every show with a song from Led Zeppelin.

Now I've always wanted a set of cards featuring rock and roll stars but there weren't any sets like I wanted issued. I assume that it would be a licensing issue whereas the major sports are each covered under a blanket license allowing most all players to be featured in a set, in rock and roll, there is no blanket licensing and permission would have to be obtained from each individual artist in order to have their likeness used in a set. Woah! Now the Beatles had their own set and I think Elvis, the Monkees and the Rolling Stones may have had their own sets too. I did find some packs of Brokum cards back in the 90s that mostly featured obscure band members from the heavy metal bands of the day and those were cool but rather limited and then Hero Decks put out a 52 card set a few years ago that featured caricatures. Even Topps has begun to include a smattering of rock stars in their sets.

Still it wasn't what I wanted. The set I wanted had to be more comprehensive than just 52 cards and it had to feature all styles and genres of rock and not just Metal. It had to include folk rock, hard rock, prog rock, punk rock, pop rock, new wave, grunge, heavy metal, classic rock and the blues. It had to feature the innovators, the roots of rock, the trailblazers right up to the most popular and well-known artists of today. It had to encompass all the decades that rock has been around. So . . .

With the help of Google images and Wikipedia and with a designing nod to the 2013 Topps Allen and Ginter set, I researched each artist and using my PhotoShop skills created my own extensive set of Rock & Roll Legends. I have designed 600 different cards, backs and fronts.

Some images are sharper than others and unlike ballplayers, rock stars often play under colored lights which gives a lot of the images a surreal look. Now I've got to find someone who can print the set for me.

To show you what they look like, here's who I got in my first "pack".

I have taken the entire 600 card checklist and put it into a randomizer and would proudly present them to you one "virtual" 10 card pack at a time in a "virtual box break". I could probably reveal these one pack per day until I have randomly shown you the entire 600 card set. If you want to see a virtual box break of "the set I've always wanted" then please vote above in the poll.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: OT: The Set I've Always Wanted
I voted "Yes"

So far the only one that I've heard of is Marilyn Manson.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Totally diggin' this thread! I'm a child of the 60's and my first baseball card purchase was in 1968. I remember trading all my Yankee cards for Mets players. To this day, I'm still a die hard Mets fan and always will be.
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1

Zep,

You might want to contact Tanner. I don't remember his username, but he's a genius!!
*EDIT - Here it is mouschi3
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Our paths are not so different. Just the dates. For me, my first pack was 1975 Topps. I too was hooked. My first concert was in 1977, KISS. My life was forever changed. I managed music stores from 1992 until 2005. I too am a music nut. I love the fact you shared all of this, as it brought back such great memories. I have been wanting to go back and collect all the old KISS cards.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Rock on dude.... Show us what'cha got. \m/ -_- \m/

[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

Let me get this straight…
You spent countless hours creating your own personal "white whale set" and you are taking a poll as to whether you should show off your awesome labor of love???
FORGET THE POLL and start posting more of the cards!!!!
I think it's incredible that you took the time to create this and while I may not recognize but a fraction of the individuals on the cards, it will be cool to see who shows up in each new post.
And I'm curious to see if Noddy Holder made the cut!

This set needs to be made! Since you did mention folk rock, if there happens to be a Harry Chapin card in the set that would be awesome.

What an amazing undertaking! Great project and so far, very professionally done! Obviously a labor of love!
Actually printing them would be the ultimate, but I can live with a virtual box break. It would be incredible if they coud be printed in a set and sold as an 'underground' collection. You're right, a licensing nightmare at best, were someone to produce them 'mainstream' ! ... Maybe someone in our community owns a printing plant? works for a printer? Knows a printer?
Thanks for sharing and I'd love to see more. They're fun, educational, and beautifully done.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Awesome Zep!!!!! Please keep 'em coming. That 1970's Topps BB set is my favorite! I can still remember the smell of opening a new pack of those cards with the gum inside (to hell with Tom Seaver...where's my Johnny Briggs!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If you go the route of getting them produced as a personal set....I'll kick some paypal dollars your way to help you fund it (emphasis on "some" not "sum".....as in a couple....LOL) as long as you have a Joey Ramone in there that you can forward a copy to me ( a 1/1 distinction would be nice.......). Let me/us know.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing the rest of the set. (I like the 10card pack idea...great touch)

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.