`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about grading.

RE: Question about grading.
(08-19-2015, 05:53 PM)Nintari Wrote: Yeah, I forgot about that. I do agree that pulling a modern card with a newer autograph should be high quality. I still don't think I would mind though. I mean, it's Willie Freakin' Mays haha
I'm definitely not disagreeing with you. The first Mays auto I ever pulled was waaaay off center but it was the most beautiful card I'd ever seen. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of what goes on today in the card market but I do accept certain standards.

Yeah by consolidating my collection and reinvesting into some higher end cards I like the idea of graded so I am certain of what I am buying and investing in. I guess the next step is picking out my PC cards I wanna get graded as well.
I appreciate the insight...it's nice to have this resource with some great collectors.

Auto grades are generally a 10 unless they veer off the edge of the card or the auto isn't fit into the card correctly. Such as the 2002 Prospect Premieres Prince Fielder where there is a cutout for the auto to be applied. Usually the auto touches the borders knocking the grade.

The ink used is blotchy like on the 2001 SPX Albert Pujols. The majority of those grade out at a 9 and a 10 is very rare.

Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

I think:
crisp clear auto will all ways get a 10
runs in the signature will get a 9.5
and faded autographs will get a 9

For I have never seen an auto less than a nine grade. Not saying there isn't but I just have not seen any. That is why my list on top the way it is.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(08-20-2015, 04:39 PM)waynetalger Wrote: I think:
crisp clear auto will all ways get a 10
runs in the signature will get a 9.5
and faded autographs will get a 9

For I have never seen an auto less than a nine grade. Not saying there isn't but I just have not seen any. That is why my list on top the way it is.
I think auto grades are 10,9,8 etc no 9.5 grades.

I do have an 8 auto grade where the signature touches both the top and bottom cutout area. It is very displeasing to the eye so I would agree with the BGS assessment on it.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

(08-19-2015, 02:53 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: It sounds ridiculous to say but auto grades do matter to the majority of collectors, particularly when you are dealing with higher end cards.
The auto matters so much to me, I didn't even buy a 9.5 with a 10 auto, because I didn't like the way he wrote his name.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-20-2015, 04:47 PM)crossada Wrote: I think auto grades are 10,9,8 etc no 9.5 grades.

I do have an 8 auto grade where the signature touches both the top and bottom cutout area. It is very displeasing to the eye so I would agree with the BGS assessment on it.
You might be right for all the ones I have are 10's and I dont pay much attention to the auto grade unless it is mine.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(08-20-2015, 04:54 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: The auto matters so much to me, I didn't even buy a 9.5 with a 10 auto, because I didn't like the way he wrote his name.
+1. I've done the same because there is no standard for the signature, rather the marker used. I've seen some atrocious signatures graded a 10 where it was obvious the signer was just trying to finish up his session.

I think we still like to be pleased with what we see too. I passed up a carf that was 9.5/10 that had all 9.5's except a 9 for centering. It was noticeable enough though that I just didn't like ithe way it looked despite the overall 9.5 grade. I think I wouldn't care if it was a 9 for edges or surface and not as noticeable. Maybe I'm a little silly, but on newer cards, off centering makes me crazy lol As well as guys who don't sign in the box...