`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Card Show blues

RE: Card Show blues
i'd be ecstatic if i made $150 off the bargain bin cards, heck now i'm wondering if this is how i should go about unloading a bulk of my stuff i need to get rid of since shipping large amounts to comc isnt cheap.

(08-18-2015, 09:34 AM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: Selling that much in lower end (quarter to $5) is awesome. That's what I did at a recent show I set up at. Seems all I moved was the quarter box stuff.

Funny thing is, I didn't sell a single card from the local teams out of my singles boxes or case. I basically sold nothing but quarter cards with a couple of other things here and there.

Rich, I want to say thank you for doing what you do for the Dallas shows.
I really enjoyed setting up at the show and being around other collectors, and I really missed not being able to be there this past weekend.

To the OP, just setup a couple of more times and cater to what your buyers like. In this case, it seems a quarter to $1 to $5 type stuff, and you'll be okay.
Thank you for the nice words, I truly enjoy running shows (with or without autograph guests but my life is easier with no guests Smile )

And it's funny -- after several months where my Dallas area boxes just sit, last week I did more business out of those boxes than I had done the previous 4-5 shows. You never know.
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

(08-18-2015, 02:08 PM)bamyanks Wrote: The best thing will be you first customer that stops by your table with a shoebox under his arm and ask "Would you buy anything from this box?" and the box is filled with Topps and Bowman cards from 1951 thru the '60's. I had this happen to me at a little card show in Keokuk I regularly attended. I still kick myself by not asking how much he would have took for the box.
I did have a customer ask me about buying. He said something along the lines of "You look like just the person that could help me out." I started thinking uhoh, I'm the new guy...

Then he mentioned how he had a ton of mid to late 80's cards he's been holding onto for a long time. Then the this thought ran through my mind, "AHHHHHHH!" I pointed him over to one of my LCS owners, I know he buys pc's. I doubt he would buy those though. heh
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

(08-19-2015, 10:07 AM)woogie23 Wrote: I did have a customer ask me about buying. He said something along the lines of "You look like just the person that could help me out." I started thinking uhoh, I'm the new guy...

Then he mentioned how he had a ton of mid to late 80's cards he's been holding onto for a long time. Then the this thought ran through my mind, "AHHHHHHH!" I pointed him over to one of my LCS owners, I know he buys pc's. I doubt he would buy those though. heh
If it had been me, I at least would have looked. It's like one of my railroad china collector buddies said, "I'd rather go and know instead of snoozing and losing."

Seriously though, I really think if you hang in there, try to treat everyone fairly, good days and good things will come. I remember having one customer coming in to our shop one evening (we hoth had day jobs so were open in the evening) and started to look at some racing cards I had. So I struck up a conversation with him, not trying to be pushy or anything, just tried to make conversation and answer his questions. To make a long story short, because I helped him and didn't push, he became one of my biggest customers, all because I took the time to talk to him, find out what he liked etc.

The way I look at it, whether we have a good or bad show, it could be worse. We're doing something we like, meeting like minded people who like sports and cards, does it get any better?? Good luck to you, hope you have some great days.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]