`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some helpful advice.

RE: Looking for some helpful advice.
(08-15-2015, 09:12 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Welcome back! Reading your last post, if collecting with your daughter, your plan of set building Topps flagship with update (excellent idea) should be complemented with Topps Opening Day. Not a large set, plus the cards quality is on par with flagship. Nice insert sets plus it's realativly cheap. No huge pulls, but a fun set to put together. Also, I would look into Topps Chipz and sticker books. We always enjoy putting them together and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
As the focus of my collecting doesn't include relics / patches / autos, I don't purchase high end products to rip, but complement my collection by individual card purchases of ones I really like and can afford.
Everyone has to find thier own way in the hobby and how they will collect. One word of caution....don't try to keep up with the Jone's and buy stuff because you see what others are opening. Take it from a moron like me.....you'll be alot happier with more money in your pocket.
Again, enjoy. Also, there are a great bunch of experienced folks here who can usually and willingly answer any question so don't be afraid to ask.
I agree with everything joe says, (except for his self-deprecating remark about being a moron. Smile) I was going to say that Opening Day has everything you want in a card product. It's VERY affordable, there are really nice inserts, autos & relics ... And every 10 year old loves the Mascots ... Especially a Masot autograph card! I buy them every year and my 11 year old loves opening them and telling me about the cool cards she finds for us.
Listen to Joe's advice, he's right on target (except for that stupid moron commentSmile )
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Thanks guys. I'll have a look into Opening Day. As I said before, I really don't like the idea of someone without any experience handling cards ripping open boxes of Triple Threads lol. And even if I let her to that with me, I'm sure I'd be all "no no no, don't touch the edges...THE EDGESSSSS" haha

So yeah, opening day sounds like the best product for us.
(08-17-2015, 06:31 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: A lot of those un-opened boxes are now just clumps of cardbored....LOL!

I'm of the school that all cards sb set free and I do not keep anything closed that I buy.....but that's just me. ( for the factory sets, I do leave them in thier boxes though I take all the extra goodies out)

I regards to using them for grading.....sure, why not! Thier your cards, do what you want with them. Some factory sets will garner a premium un-opened due to the rookies in them, but I do not see the point in this day and age keeping boxes un-opended......it's 2015...not 1954. (If i'm going to tie my money up in an investment....it's not in cards)

Well, I only asked because pulling card and grading them is never a sure bet but you can always sell the factory sealed set with the "chance" of the buyer pulling that card in gem mint.

I'm sure I'll open the set anyway though. lol

(08-17-2015, 04:20 PM)Nintari Wrote: Well, I only asked because pulling card and grading them is never a sure bet but you can always sell the factory sealed set with the "chance" of the buyer pulling that card in gem mint.

I'm sure I'll open the set anyway though. lol
I bought a factory sealed Heritage High Number set last year and 10 out of the 100 card set were horribly corner creased, folded, destroyed. No guarantees about condition in a factory set ... Lots of bad things can happen in automated machinery.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-18-2015, 07:34 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I bought a factory sealed Heritage High Number set last year and 10 out of the 100 card set were horribly corner creased, folded, destroyed. No guarantees about condition in a factory set ... Lots of bad things can happen in automated machinery.
Yeah, I know there's always a chance of that but I look at it like this. If a set of Topps runs $59.99, and one single hobby box runs $49.99, there's probably a better chance that you'll get a really highly graded rookie out of the factory set than you will out of the box. More than likely, I'll end up spending 3-4 times the money on boxes than I will buying a set.

I think there should be some sort of liability on the part of card manufactures with regarded to condition because that's what 99% of collectors are buying them for. It doesn't matter whether you intend to put them in your closet for the next 50 years, you still care about the quality of the cards and I don't know why Topps, or any other company gets away with legally selling a defective product. You don't see it happening in any other business.

(08-18-2015, 10:33 AM)Nintari Wrote: Yeah, I know there's always a chance of that but I look at it like this. If a set of Topps runs $59.99, and one single hobby box runs $49.99, there's probably a better chance that you'll get a really highly graded rookie out of the factory set than you will out of the box. More than likely, I'll end up spending 3-4 times the money on boxes than I will buying a set.

I think there should be some sort of liability on the part of card manufactures with regarded to condition because that's what 99% of collectors are buying them for. It doesn't matter whether you intend to put them in your closet for the next 50 years, you still care about the quality of the cards and I don't know why Topps, or any other company gets away with legally selling a defective product. You don't see it happening in any other business.
I've remained mostly quiet until now. I only collect Nolan Ryan. So, I bought several complete Topps & Donruss sets, hoping for some GEMS. None of them were worth getting Beckett Graded.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(08-18-2015, 11:01 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I've remained mostly quiet until now. I only collect Nolan Ryan. So, I bought several complete Topps & Donruss sets, hoping for some GEMS. None of them were worth getting Beckett Graded.
I was just old enough to have seen the end of his career and the last couple no hitters. I have a nice framed autographed picture of him pitching his second to last no hitter, and an autographed ball from that year. Unfortunately it's one of the 84-90 Brown Haiti balls so it's slowly turning yellow, but alas, still a treasure that I hold onto dearly.

I noticed that his RC is now affordable within the PSA 5/6 area and I totally plan to get one. They were ALOT more costly before the grading scene.

First off welcome back. Second base Topps can be bought in many ways. You can buy a Jumbo Hobby box which gives you three guaranteed hits and possibility of sp's and other inserts and you can usually put a base set w/o sp's together out of 1 Jumbo box. You can buy a Topps Hobby box which gives you a relic or auto and other great hits and sp's and inserts. Sp refers to Short Print" cards such as this years base Series 1 Topps that had a unique photo variation of Derek Jeter that was getting about 100 dollars at early stages and now 50-80. Base Topps is also at retail and comes in blaster, Jumbo pack and hanger packs. Lastly make sure to collect what you want as Phillies Joe said: You can spend a ton of money on boxes and get nothing or you can spend that same amount on auction sites and get cards you want w/o busting an entire box. If you want the rush of opening you can do an online break and have someone open the box for you for a small fee..

(08-18-2015, 05:02 PM)magneto2 Wrote: First off welcome back. Second base Topps can be bought in many ways. You can buy a Jumbo Hobby box which gives you three guaranteed hits and possibility of sp's and other inserts and you can usually put a base set w/o sp's together out of 1 Jumbo box. You can buy a Topps Hobby box which gives you a relic or auto and other great hits and sp's and inserts. Sp refers to Short Print" cards such as this years base Series 1 Topps that had a unique photo variation of Derek Jeter that was getting about 100 dollars at early stages and now 50-80. Base Topps is also at retail and comes in blaster, Jumbo pack and hanger packs. Lastly make sure to collect what you want as Phillies Joe said: You can spend a ton of money on boxes and get nothing or you can spend that same amount on auction sites and get cards you want w/o busting an entire box. If you want the rush of opening you can do an online break and have someone open the box for you for a small fee..
I do think buying single cards is the wiser decision but, there is something exciting about opening packs like Charlie looking for the golden ticket lol. When I buy a box, I don't buy it expecting a huge hit. I buy it for the DREAM of getting the huge hit. Whether I get the card I want or not, I still had fun so the cost is justified. As for having someone open a box for me online? I don't think that's going to be tactually as satisfying lol. I find it strange that people actually do that.