`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the a-hole here? Ebay related.

Am I the a-hole here? Ebay related.
Some of you will probably say yes to me being an a**hole anyway, but I'm cool with it. I search Ebay for hard to find cards, mostly 1/1's, and I frequently ask questions when I'm really interested in purchasing cards. Most of the time it's condition related because descriptions may be vague or not given at all. I've had a few cards show up that I was told were "mint" only to examine and find out they would most likely grade out at a 6. Or worse. Anyway, as far as questions go is it considered a slap in the face to ask what a sellers bottom line is when he or she has a best offer option? I've been asked countless times and it's never bothered me. It's cut and dry and a fair question. I've also asked the question countless times and it's never seemed to bother a single person I've asked. I found a Trout I really wanted but the seller was asking too much in my mind so I sent a message saying I was interested in the Trout and I was wondering what your bottom line is? Thanks, Matt. Nothing vulgar or offensive. I got this back. [Image: Screenshot_2015-08-12-05-14-08_zpsqmacauwg.png]

RE: Am I the a-hole here? Ebay related.
I will give my answer in the form of a message I got yesterday(on my birthday)

No you are not out of line for asking. And I am sure a card like that you want to know everything possible

Neither one of you is technically being an a**hole yet. The question of "what is your bottom line" is a touchy one, and some people get offended by it. One thing to consider is this...did you already make an offer on the card? If not, then it is a little rude to ask for a bottom line, after all the purpose of Best Offer is for a seller to see what a buyer might be willing to pay for a card.
There is this game that some people play (not on eBay but other places) where a seller won't say how much they will sell for and a buyer won't say how much they will spend, as both want to get the best deal. Considering that best offer forces a seller to start with a price, the next move is a buyers to make an offer.
That being said his response was a bit terse, but no more rude than asking him for a bottom line price without first making an offer.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I have done that before. But never had that type of answer. Lol. But not wrong at all. You will surprised how low some of the sellers will go. Never hurts to ask imo. Worst they can say is no.

I guess I don't get it. If someone asks me for my bottom line I tell them what I want to get. Every single person has then tried to haggle afterwards even though they asked and I told. I don't get offended. People want a deal. There's obviously no way for the seller to know but when I get my answer I either buy or pass. That's the whole purpose of me asking. It cuts out all the bull crap of going back and forth. Tell me what you need and I pay you. I don't want to offend someone who has their card(s) priced way too high.

(08-12-2015, 05:24 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I don't want to offend someone who has their card(s) priced way too high.
Maybe it's just me, but I find it more offensive to be asked what my bottom line is than to get a lowball offer.
As for your specific instance, it looks like the seller is asking 4x what the last one sold for; though the last one wasn't graded. The seller also seems to think that a BGS9 is some amazingly high grade for a modern card, and thinks it would cross to a PSA10, even though there is only one 9.5 subgrade. Personally I wouldn't pay much of a premium for a BGS9 versus a raw card from a few years ago, unless there were known condition issues with the set. If I was interested in the card I would simply send a best offer of $400-$500 and see what they counter back with. Hopefully they counter and don't just turn down the offer, as that would piss me off, especially after their message.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(08-12-2015, 05:24 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I guess I don't get it. If someone asks me for my bottom line I tell them what I want to get. Every single person has then tried to haggle afterwards even though they asked and I told. I don't get offended. People want a deal. There's obviously no way for the seller to know but when I get my answer I either buy or pass. That's the whole purpose of me asking. It cuts out all the bull crap of going back and forth. Tell me what you need and I pay you. I don't want to offend someone who has their card(s) priced way too high.
As far as I'm concerned, asking a question should never be a problem, and nobody should ever be offended. They can either answer you or ignore you. If they don't want to play the haggle game, just do a BIN. I don't think you're out of line for asking.
On the flipside, I've given Best Offers on cards and had sellers get offended, and it wasn't ridiculous offer, either. About 85% of their BIN. But instead of countering with a number, they got all upset. Wish I saved the responses .... So funny actually.
It's a hobby for most, a business for some. Some people shouldn't mix the 2 because they get too emotional about it. Oh well. Have fun, move forward ... There's no shortage of most cards ... And if so, next year there will be a buttload more. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

As I've learned over the years in this hobby, there is a simple explanation that usually supercedes all others.

He could just be an a-- hat.

I'm pretty sure that everyone on this site knows how big of an A**hole you are, Matt.

So now that we've got that out of the way, LOL, onto the situation. (oh and if you don't sense my sarcasm, it's pretty thick up there)

I'm gonna chalk his answer up to something that's become a huge problem in the past 5 years, and will continue to.

PEOPLE NO LONGER KNOW HOW TO TALK TO OTHER PEOPLE. Plain and simple, it's become where the simple act of conversing is bothersome to many. What with how it's so much easier to get your point across with abbreviated words and a smiley face, how can you blame them, :-(

It's become a huge problem, people just don't want to be bothered to talk to others anymore. Go to a restaurant, and sit there and watch how many people screw around on their phones/tablets WHILE eating, with 2-3 other people they could be talking to sitting at the table with them.

My two sons and I sit down at the table at dinner time, each night. No tv, no other crap, just the 3 of us, talking. I make a point of it, no matter what.

Ok so I got long winded, sorry.
BUT no, Matt, you're not the A**hole. The seller is probably one of those people sitting across from his wife and kids at the dinner table screwing around on his phone.

[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]

I really do appreciate all the response. I haven't really dealt with ebay too much or for too long. In my short time there I have dealt with such a wide range of personalities and egos it's hard to know proper etiquette. I've put in best offers that I thought were extremely fair and had the sellers get insulted. One of which told me that my offer was in fact insulting because it was 1/2 what they were asking. I never messaged back but I wanted to say that just because you set an extremely unrealistic bin price doesn't make it market value. I put in another offer on a high end Trout that was pretty close to the bin. I was $200 lower than the $2500 asking price and the seller got angry stating "the listing says serious bidders only pal"! I told him I thought my offer was fair but how much were you looking for? $2500 he replied. I asked why did he have the best offer option available if he would only take his bin price? He said he changed his mind and deserved the $2500. How was I suppose to know that? I've had some sellers just deny my offer flat out. When I contacted them to say I hope I didn't offend you and that I thought they would counter (I thought that's how that game was played), they apologize and usually get the card for REAL close to my initial offer. Anyway, all comments and criticisms are welcome and Bryan, all of your comments are welcome on my threads. The longer the better.
(08-12-2015, 06:21 PM)djohn Wrote: Maybe it's just me, but I find it more offensive to be asked what my bottom line is than to get a lowball offer.
As for your specific instance, it looks like the seller is asking 4x what the last one sold for; though the last one wasn't graded. The seller also seems to think that a BGS9 is some amazingly high grade for a modern card, and thinks it would cross to a PSA10, even though there is only one 9.5 subgrade. Personally I wouldn't pay much of a premium for a BGS9 versus a raw card from a few years ago, unless there were known condition issues with the set. If I was interested in the card I would simply send a best offer of $400-$500 and see what they counter back with. Hopefully they counter and don't just turn down the offer, as that would piss me off, especially after their message.
This is what I was referring to by not wanting to insult them with an offer. Either they are throwing a huge number out there to see if they can get someone to bite or they're delusional. If they come back with a number that's still from another galaxy I won't put in an offer that would unknowingly be insulting to them. A BGS 9 doesn't do anything for the price. The rarity of the card is what's appealing.