`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the a-hole here? Ebay related.

RE: Am I the a-hole here? Ebay related.
(08-12-2015, 11:10 PM)GoStros Wrote: I sell on eBay quite a bit. I do not use Best Offer option much, I found lowballers to insulting to do that. In a face to face environment it would be a great idea to do so. But when someone does not have to face the person to ask "what's the lowest you would go" a lot of folks will be just down right rude if you respond. That is what auctions are for. You put something up for bids, and start it at your lowest point, that way you are not disappointed in whatever it sells for.

I do not feel you were an Ahole here, but I too might have been offended if you did not even make an offer first. That is why it is call Best Offer. The seller has done their part by placing a starting point on negotiations, now it is your turn to counter. If you asked me what my bottom doller was on an item without first making an offer, I would not be very inclined to answer. I have seen so many times where a seller is actually offering at a fair price only to come down at the urging of the buyer, and still the buyer wants more. If you ask for bottomline and don't like what you are given, should you really have the gumption to ask for more. I mean after all you did ask for their bottom price and were given an answer.

The problem with eBay is that the majority of the buying public is ill informed. Meaning they do not understand the true costs involved like: eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping costs, shipping material costs, and item protection costs. All of those have to be factored in by the seller, and unfortunately most buyers on eBay do not even think of what those expenditures end up costing the seller.

Do you walk into Walmart and ask the cashier, "what is least you would tke on this box of Bowman?"

I just caught this last statement you made. You are absolutely correct when people come to you you have to give them a price. That is what a seller on eBay has already done by the Buy it Now price they have placed. In your line of work you truly are not the seller, you are the buyer. Your "price" is the bottomline you are willing to buy the contract for. They are offering the product you are bidding on it.
Incorrect. I Do not buy a contract so that I may also provide the goods and services. Builders and developers buy the contract if the price is acceptable. My "bids" put in on jobs are my bin prices. If they are to the individuals liking, they buy my services. If not, they may try to counter. I sell my services as an Ebay seller would sell his product. The role a buyer on ebay plays is that of a builder /contractor looking for work to be done. I'm the one selling, their the one's looking to buy and therefore they pay me. The buyer doesn't get paid.

(08-13-2015, 04:56 AM)tdog4468 Wrote: If the seller has a price point stated... even an unrealistic one then I think it is on the buyer to put out the next number. That could be close to the BIN number or it could be 10% of that number, but an opened question invites a less enthusiastic response.

I liked the approach of "I'm willing to pay $$$ for this card, will this get the deal done" much better than "what is the lowest you will go?"

Like I posted earlier if the card is that out of line with the market he is just fishing for a whale, or testing the market to get an idea of what people will pay. I don't think either party is out of line, just think if you put out the number you were comfortable with, he would respond with a yes or no and you can both move on from there.

He may be hoping for a super collector who wants that card to complete a rainbow or to collect all of the run and the card has more value in those terms than in cardboard value.

I have a dealer friend who does the same thing with every listing very high buy it now listing to get offers or snag a whale every once in a while, it works for him. Not my style but it works for him.
I understand what your saying but contrary to what people are reading into this I'm not asking what the cheapest he'll sell it for is. I never stated that and I don't know why people are getting stuck on that. I have most definitely used " I have X amount of dollars to spend right now. I'm interested in your card. Is it enough to get the deal done"? Most people have gotten offended or given one word replies. "No". I thought I was being offensive with that tactic. My offers were fair and I cut straight to the chase but it seemed like it bothered some sellers. I find that when I give a low initial offer sellers get extremely offended despite their cards being grossly over priced. My whole intention was to try and not offend the seller and figure out what I could give him and still have him be able to sleep well.

I don't think you were in the wrong at all here. As many have said, folks are too sensitive these days. I have even received similar messages on eBay like "what is the lowest you'll take" when I don't have best offer on an item for sale. I just politely reply yes or no if I like or don't like the offer.

Bottom line, we are all looking for a deal all the time. Sometimes we get the deal we want, sometimes we offer a deal to the person buying. Can't we all just get along? :-)

Thanks,
- Steve

(08-13-2015, 05:44 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: I understand what your saying but contrary to what people are reading into this I'm not asking what the cheapest he'll sell it for is. I never stated that and I don't know why people are getting stuck on that.
Your original post said "I sent a message saying I was interested in the Trout and I was wondering what your bottom line is? Thanks, Matt."
If those are indeed the words you used, then please explain how asking for someone's bottom line is any different than asking what the cheapest they will sell something?
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(08-13-2015, 08:38 AM)djohn Wrote: Your original post said "I sent a message saying I was interested in the Trout and I was wondering what your bottom line is? Thanks, Matt."
If those are indeed the words you used, then please explain how asking for someone's bottom line is any different than asking what the cheapest they will sell something?
I repeat, when I ask for a bottom line I am asking what it will take to make a seller happy and get a deal done. The seller had to know his pricing was extremely high. I'm asking what the real number is. He could have come back with any number he chose. There is no set pricing on a card like that. Again, rather than insult him with what he could have perceived as a low ball offer I gave HIM the opportunity to set a realistic standard and negotiating point. He could have come back with a 50% offer of his original asking price. It still would have been really high but at least I would have had an answer. Maybe we could have worked something out. Maybe I would have had a moment of weakness and grossly over paid. Who knows, maybe he held his cards close to his vest and he would have been happy with 25% of the original asking price and he made out like a bandit. I wouldn't have been mad because it would have been my choice to over pay. To not give an answer seems crazy to me. Why would you not throw out a number you could be happy with?

Still not understanding why bottom line is hard to figure out.
Bottom line= what is needed by seller and necessary to get a deal done where a seller will be happy with the end result.

*Seller does not even need to be, nor most likely will he be, honest.

(08-13-2015, 05:44 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: Incorrect. I Do not buy a contract so that I may also provide the goods and services. Builders and developers buy the contract if the price is acceptable. My "bids" put in on jobs are my bin prices. If they are to the individuals liking, they buy my services. If not, they may try to counter. I sell my services as an Ebay seller would sell his product. The role a buyer on ebay plays is that of a builder /contractor looking for work to be done. I'm the one selling, their the one's looking to buy and therefore they pay me. The buyer doesn't get paid.

I understand what your saying but contrary to what people are reading into this I'm not asking what the cheapest he'll sell it for is. I never stated that and I don't know why people are getting stuck on that. I have most definitely used " I have X amount of dollars to spend right now. I'm interested in your card. Is it enough to get the deal done"? Most people have gotten offended or given one word replies. "No". I thought I was being offensive with that tactic. My offers were fair and I cut straight to the chase but it seemed like it bothered some sellers. I find that when I give a low initial offer sellers get extremely offended despite their cards being grossly over priced. My whole intention was to try and not offend the seller and figure out what I could give him and still have him be able to sleep well.
You are missing the point, you are bidding on the job. Your price quote is your bid. But rather than the highest bid, you want to be the lowest. in order to "win" the job.

(08-13-2015, 10:07 AM)GoStros Wrote: You are missing the point, you are bidding on the job. Your price quote is your bid. But rather than the highest bid, you want to be the lowest. in order to "win" the job.
I get what your saying but it's incorrect. You can not have the supplier also be the buyer when dealing with an entity other than itself. While I have to "bid" on some jobs it is the exact opposite of an auction format of buying. It's more along the lines of sellers entering listings on Ebay hoping either, A: Their reputation as a business will get them return customers or B: they are competitively priced enough their items will sell.

When I bid on jobs I never want to be the low guy. That sets a standard in some people's minds that that's the way it should be and they begin to expect you always coming in low. Sometimes I'm told I am the high guy but I get the job anyway because they know what they're going to get.

Let's say you walk into a card shop and they have that Trout card in their display with a price tag of $1500. You say you're interested and ask them what's their bottom line price. They reply by asking you to make an offer.
Are either of you being a**holes at this point. NO. However that can certainly change depending on what is said next.
This is essentially the same thing that happened online. Now the seller was very short in his reply, and since you can't hear his voice or see him it's hard to figure out his exact tone. It definitely appears to be on the terse side. However I can certainly understand if he has some frustration in that he has listed a price with a Best Offer option (insinuating that he is open to offers). He may have already had a bunch of other people messaging him about the card, and he may just be tired of replying to what has amounted to tire-kickers (i.e. people who inquire with no intent on making an offer).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(08-13-2015, 10:44 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: I get what your saying but it's incorrect. You can not have the supplier also be the buyer when dealing with an entity other than itself. While I have to "bid" on some jobs it is the exact opposite of an auction format of buying. It's more along the lines of sellers entering listings on Ebay hoping either, A: Their reputation as a business will get them return customers or B: they are competitively priced enough their items will sell.

When I bid on jobs I never want to be the low guy. That sets a standard in some people's minds that that's the way it should be and they begin to expect you always coming in low. Sometimes I'm told I am the high guy but I get the job anyway because they know what they're going to get.
That makes sense, but with this particular buyer, they have no idea who you are. The statement you have been defending is what you stated to the seller. Maybe this seller saw your question the same way most of us who have commented have seen it. Again, this is why online buying and selling can really suck sometimes. You cannot read body language in text. You cannot hear the tone of manner a question is presented in text. Like I said, I personally would have been offended if you lead off with that question to me. If an when I do put a Best Offer option on an item, I feel I have done my due dilligence in providing a buyer the opportunity to haggle. If I did respond, you are correct, I would not be truthful. I would most likely go halfway between what the listed price states and what I feel my bottomline actually is.

If I were to read "what is your bottom line?" I would definitely assume I'm being asked what's the cheapest I'll go on it. I don't know how to read it any other way. Now, I don't really get being offended by that, but that's on this particular seller I guess.

I hate Best Offer feature because I hate haggling. I never use it to sell, but sometimes I'll throw in an offer on Junior cards I want. I always just put what I'm willing to pay. I don't start low and expect to go back and forth to meet where I want. That's dumb. Just put in what you are willing to pay and be done with it. Which is why I always reject counters. I should probably start including that information with my offer... In any case, I don't get mad if I don't get it and would assume the seller doesn't get mad at my offer. It's just cardboard.
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

(08-13-2015, 11:29 AM)djohn Wrote: Let's say you walk into a card shop and they have that Trout card in their display with a price tag of $1500. You say you're interested and ask them what's their bottom line price. They reply by asking you to make an offer.
Are either of you being a**holes at this point. NO. However that can certainly change depending on what is said next.
This is essentially the same thing that happened online. Now the seller was very short in his reply, and since you can't hear his voice or see him it's hard to figure out his exact tone. It definitely appears to be on the terse side. However I can certainly understand if he has some frustration in that he has listed a price with a Best Offer option (insinuating that he is open to offers). He may have already had a bunch of other people messaging him about the card, and he may just be tired of replying to what has amounted to tire-kickers (i.e. people who inquire with no intent on making an offer).
Do you know how many times that card shop scenario has happened? No one gets bent out of shape or insulted. You start to negotiate. There's a deal to be had. I've never seen anyone sit across the counter from anyone and say don't ask questions. I'm getting side tracked though. The original question was in reference to whether I was out of line. I really don't care whether he was being a dick or not. As far as him possibly being frustrated because of prior inquiries, I still don't care. That's a lame crutch to use. Your listing cards well above what the market will bare on the world's largest flea market. People are bound to ask questions. If you don't have the mentality to do a little customer service, maybe you shouldn't be doing it. That site is rampant with low ball offers and really low final sale prices. I asked him what he wanted.