`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on a set

Thoughts on a set
Ok, I've asked this elsewhere and never really got a reply, so I figured I'd see if anybody here had any opinions on it...

I built a 2014 Prizm master base set - ie, all base inserts for all insert sets and the entire regular base set with all variations for the RC included.

Now, I've sold several sets before, and will sell a couple more here soon hopefully, but those are either with a couple of insert sets included (minus variations), or just the actual set. So, I feel I have a handle on the values of those.

The master set, I'm rather torn on what to value it at. A few of the RC variations were EXTREMELY difficult to find (one of the Bortles the only acceptable version I found was one I got from a guy I was in a case break with), and so I'm at a loss as to how I should try to sell it. Do I take what I got for the base set without variations but with the insert sets and add in the values of the RC variations to get a total value? Should I add in a little bit of an added premium for having gone through all the effort of trying to find the other variations that were extremely difficult to find along with that? Now, just so that we're clear, I'm not asking for a dollar value that I should be asking for it, I'm just trying to see if anyone has any idea towards what sort of way I can figure out what sort value I want to put towards it.... Hopefully that makes sense.

RE: Thoughts on a set
Unfortunately people put $0 value in "time + effort" I would come up with a number you are comfortable with and add a % to it and go from there..ie you want no less then $500, ask $600 and work down

Yeah, I guess. I know I've had a few people buy sets off of me, but would there be more of a demand for it with all of the variations and insert sets included is what I'm trying to figure out... Oh well, I've got it listed, but only have 1 watcher ATM, so we'll see if anybody even makes an offer.

First off, congratulations on putting together a great set. I love doing "master sets" like that, and really enjoy chasing down the cards to complete them, even though I know in the end that I won't get my money back out if I try to sell as a set. I am not that familiar with the rarity of the SPs in that set, so it's tough to put an exact premium for getting them all. I think you are on the right track though in terms of taking the price for the set with inserts and adding in the price of the SPs. I don't think there would be an additional premium on top of that though.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(08-05-2015, 03:30 PM)bojesphob Wrote: Yeah, I guess. I know I've had a few people buy sets off of me, but would there be more of a demand for it with all of the variations and insert sets included is what I'm trying to figure out... Oh well, I've got it listed, but only have 1 watcher ATM, so we'll see if anybody even makes an offer.
If I was set building I would pay more for the inserts and variations.

I agree, add the price you want, and then add at least what you spent to get the hard to find cards into it. Then, sure, why not add on a small percentage for the time you took to put it all together, organize it, etc? Seems fair to me. If you put it as a BIN worst thing that happens is someone doesn't offer you quite what you want.

I always accept there is a finder's fee to anything.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.